Stray Voltage Death

reefkeeper55

Reefing newb
Lost my Regal Angel last night to stray voltage from 2 NEW Koralia 750 pwr heads that had only been in my tank for about 7 hours....had nearly 7 volts being discharged into the water...found this out a little too late...hope this post helps others to Always check a new pwr head before adding it to your tank..took them back to my LFS and we checked two others stiill in the box and each of those also had stray voltage of 5 plus volts...don't assume just because its new its ok....tks :(

Are you sure it was the stray voltage? Do you have any inverts in the tank? They should have been affected well before the fish.

When my tank was only a couple months old I had close to 75 volts running through my tank for a while and it didn't affect my fish at all. I actually would have never known if I didn't have starfish continually dying on me. And also, as much as you'll want no voltage in your tanks, putting electrical devices into water will always leak current. From what I've seen 5 volts is the norm, that people deal with.

BTW, I'm sorry to hear about your angel, they are without a doubt my favorite ones. How long did you have him?

only for about 5 or 6 weeks, but he was eating good and appeared to be fine...also had a tomini tang that was laying on his side and they were both twitching and breathing rapidly...immed after taking the pwr heads out the voltage went away and the tang got better..only two fire shrimp and a few snails and a hermit crab are in there...the foxface was also beathing rapidly and twitching but he appears to be fine...not sure about the tang...he is staying hid and will not eat today.

This is also in my 65 that has only been up and running for a couple of months, not my 150. I have Tunze powerheads in my 150, but have now added a grounding probe to the 65 as well. Thanks again for the info.

Do you think a grounding probe helps or hurts? I just read an article that stated that by adding a grounding plug you actually give the CURRENT a pathway to run through your tank, as you know the amps are the villian not the voltage...so now I'm not sure. TKS

Back