Stream pump placement

leon1972

Reefing newb
Now that I have my water flow pumps I am questioning where their placement should be. I have two. I initially had one one one side in front of my Lr then another on the back of my Lr on the other side. After a few hours of that I got curious to see how much detritious would be blasted off my Lr so I placed one on each side of the tank blowing directly on my Lr. Now I wonder chich way I should go. Should I have them directed on my Lr or make a current flow around my Lr?

i do both. i have a high flow med flow and a low flow. i keep my high flow at the rock and the med flow just barly grazing the LR and my low flow is pointed above the LR just depends on corals, rock placement etc

Remember that you also want the surface of the water rippling as well, to break the surface tension of the water and promote gas exchange

That is taken care of with my return pump. My Lr is placed along the length of the tank creating plenty of crevices a cove an overhang and a cave or two. I got great circulation already the detritus flowed from the bottom of the tank to the top just circulating around until it got sucked up

Back