Stressed Fish

Cathic

Fish Wrangler
Fish seemed stressed after yesterdays ordeal of rearranging and redoing sand, water still a tad bit hazy, not really cloudy, anything I can do to help them readjust?

Can't really get them feeding good, but the odd thing is the inverts are doing great, neme has reattached and is open real nice, shrimp seem fine, etc etc.

Seems like im losing the Tang, think I might cry if that happens.

Sorry to hear Cathic, Did you completely change your sand? I didn't completely understand "re-doing" the sand. Hopefully everyone wll be ok. Im sure you've already tested the water. Did it cause any spikes?

Noticed some Ammonia, changed some water, added live bacteria really depressing to think i could have nuked my tank.

Update: Woke up this morning lost everything but 1 shortspine, and one frag of yellow polyps, have them sitting in a 1 gallon tea jug with water i mixed last night, put a light fixture over it and some CC as it was the only thing i had left, also saved 2 snails and 1 hermit. Have one of the 24 in light fixtures over the jug hah, hope they pull through till my tank decides to straighten up.

wow thats crazy... I just went through a massive die off as well. Where at one point my ammonia spiked up to 5ppm! But I was able to save majority of my livestock, only lost my 2 shrimp, brittle, a few corals and snails.
Maybe tank size was the diff? My whole process took like 2 weeks >.< which enabled me to dose things like ammo lock 2 and StressZyme, while doing water changes daily.

Sorry about your loss man...

When you get the opportunity can you explain in detail what you were doing with the tank, I know you said you were working with the sand, etc...but what exactly were you doing...Obviously and unfortunately I have to learn from your incident.

Yeah, everyone should learn from this, in detail i removed all the sand and then replaced it in short, I kept roughly 30% of the water. maybe a bit more since the amount of sand i added was 3x as much as previously, anyways replaced rock and then replaced livestock after finishing with my water change. Everything was smooth until about 18 hours later, when the system went into meltdown.

Unfortunantly, you removed a lot of good bacteria when you removed your sand. You also stirred up a bonch of detrious. So you in essentially kicked off another cycle. Really sorry to hear about your loss.

I am aware of the bacteria, also dosed with Bio Spira, a little to late it seems, and the water I carried over was drained before anything was stirred or moved. I have done this to some degree in the past when adding removing sand etc etc, and not had problems. Sucks that it happened now.

Hate to hear that Cathic.
As a general rule,you should never make quick changes when it comes to reef tanks.The only exceptions would be extreme emergencies like cracked or broken tanks.

Back