Stuff left over in mixing container

Reefster

Reefing newb
I am using a rubbermaid 42gallon container to mix RODI water with Instant Ocean Reef Crystals for my water changes. I have a powerhead and heater in the container to keep it at temp and moving.

So, I noticed today a lot of debris at the bottom of my container -- looks like sediment from the mix, but I am not sure what it is and if I should be switching my salt. The debris will come off the bottom if i maneuver the fan around it, but it does not seem to break up and dissolve.

That's normal. Either gunk from the sides of the tub, stuff that landed in the water while it was mixing, or residue from the salt.

Same thing happens here, I use Red Sea coral Pro, and its super bad on mine, it gets hard and stuck on the sides of my Trash Can i use to mix my water. Even after a rinse its still there in my container but doesnt harm anything.

I had the same issue with Instant Ocean crystals. I mix for min of 24hrs, with powerhead, heater and only use RODI water. I contacted the company and they told me it was excess calcium. I switched salts.

I was not happy with their response that some batches have excess of anything. They offered for me to send a sample so they can test the salt, they never sent the container which they claimed was shipping that day. I used the 5gallon buckets, the little sticker on the top is the date ( need to convert to Julian ) incase you think it is an "old mix"

Good Luck

If the residue is clay to help in keeping the salt from clumping, then I would think it would be best to let it solidify in my mixing tank instead of trying to get it to dissolve and thus transfer to my reef tank.

I heard Red Sea brand salt is good.

Thoughts?

If the residue is clay to help in keeping the salt from clumping, then I would think it would be best to let it solidify in my mixing tank instead of trying to get it to dissolve and thus transfer to my reef tank.

I heard Red Sea brand salt is good.

Thoughts?

I love the red sea coral pro salt mix, ever since i switched over iv seen everything in my tank perk up and even seen a incresse in coraline growth. Good stuff IMO.

Back