Stumpped!!!!!!!!!!!

You said you used pacific coast live rock. can you explain. what part of the pacific coast are we talking about. California?

my only guess now would be that you must have our some one put something in you tank that might have att itself to the live rock i would tank live rock to lfs and trade for new its got to be something along these lines my buddy lost his hole tank 4-5weeks ago because of this some type of cleaning chem got in his tank just ask his wife there not talking right now but anyways the live rock held on to it his tank smell like :pooh: he had to take his rock and toss it

thanks for clearing up the live rock type. a lot of suggestions have been made on this thread and I cannot tell from reading the thread if you have done a systematic elemination of possibilities. so. I would suggest you revisit just what you did 10 days prior and up to the time of the problem. If you added anything that you have not been adding such as live rock, additives, food, something in the environment around the tank, i.e. new carpet, paint, spray for termites, air freshener etc. all should be suspecious. also compare your notes on your water parameter tests to see if something has gotten out of sink, are you keeping records on testing. you should be doing a complete line of testing at least weekly until your problem is identified or resolved. good luck . keep us posted.

its been three weeks since the last time i put a fish in my tank, although i have been adding corals. a psu night and he was dead within a few hours. anyone have a clue as to what to do. i am at the end of the rope with buying fish. :frustrat: :frustrat: :frustrat: :frustrat:

parameters:
salinity: 1.024
pH: 8.2
NO2: 0
NO3: 0
ammonia: 0

i need any and everyones :twocents:

MY 10 cents

hey dude i know this hurts but if u rebuild everything u might have a better chance of having the fish live. i had to do it with my 55 gallon and yes it hurt specially washing all my live sand cause the hole set up was polluted. if u have a back up tank restart the whole thing! and the electric shock stuff don't u think all your live stuff would be dead if it was that? i boiled all my live rock not that u have to do it but yeah money spent and boiled but i'm lovin and enjoyin all of it cause it's purple all over again in like 3 weeks with purple up. try to restart the system and enjoy it unless u want only corals. i know it hurts to just read it. :grumble:

What additives are you adding, how much and how often. what is your current pH, alk, what is your oxygen levels. after adding the rock you should of had a cycle. did it happen. was the rock live or dead rock. if live how was it shipped to you, i.e. wrapped etc. How did you prepare the rock before putting it in your system. let me know and i will try and help further. if you have already posted some of this i apologize. it is not possible for the animals to just die off for no reason, so if all your parameters are good and the temperature is ok, then you have a toxic contamination in your system and immediate large water changes would be indicated. hope something here helps. If you had been overfeeding it is possible that the bacteria have multiplied excessively and are depleting the oxygen. old mechanical filtration media could also be the culprit. without any measurable levels of ammonia, nitrite or nitrate, and with oxygen levels ok, I have only seen this happen with water poisioning and stray voltage. you did not say how the fish was acclimated and in what, nor how the fish acted when introduced into the tank. do you have a green brittle star, or any other animal that might bother the fish at night, do you keep some subdued light on at night or is the tank and room totally dark. just some items to consider. will wait for your response.

the rock i got was cured from walt smith and it was sent wrapped in newspaper the paper was damp when i got it, but that was when i first started the tank. i have not added live rock since then. the tank was cycled for about 6-8 weeks when i first started it back in november.

i drip the fish for 90 mins emptying the bucket every 30 mins. i seachem carbonate and calcium and kent marine lugol solution. i use seachem reef salt

i used to have a green brittle but he died. one set of the lights are on a timer the other set i cut on manually just to give the fish variation. the timer lights come on every day at 9:00 am and go off at 9pm the others i cut on between 7-8.

i was in the LFS today and they said the water parameters are fine. the pH is 8.3 and salinity is 1.024.

and suggestions???

*SIDE NOTE* i am changing bulbs this week. i have 12k bulbs and i will be switching to 10k bulbs.

Today is your lucky day

Sargent, I don't know if you will get this post, although I hope you do. If not, best of luck to you. I hope that someone reads this and can get let you know so I can help. I do not profess to be an expert in the field, in fact I am still learning - a lot!!! In the past year, I have learned one thing...how to fix your problem!

The same thing happened to me when I started my tank. Like, the exact thing. I had my tank crash two different times and shortly after that, I could not keep a single thing alive, except for my corals. :frustrat:

Does this sound familiar? This is what I did - after testing EVERYTHING and driving my LFS NUTS with panicked phone calls, crying and beating my head against a wall. $5,000 later (money I wasted trying more fish, additives, treatments, exorcisms, holy water, etc), I have the most beautiful tank I have ever seen - I am a bit biased. lol.

What I say was for me, and I do not want to discount prior information. Everything mentioned has great merit. I went through all of those things as well.

Realize that something on a baterial level is probably wrong. You are testing OK with your water peramiters, right? OK, here is the deal. Leave it sit for two months. Something probably happened to kill the bateria needed to keep your fish alive. Buy yourself a bottle of Bacter Vital (marcweissco.com) which is used to add bacteria to your tank. Follow the directions EXACTLY on the bottle and it will start your healthy bacteria again. Leave your tank ALONE for one month (keep your light cycle down to minimum to keep your corals alive, about 5 hours a day). Algae will grow a bit and may get unsightly - that is OK, get used to scrubbing off hair algae with a toothbrush. After a month, add a good cleaning crew (blue legs, turbos, etc, a good combo of snails and crabs). They should be OK. I have one snail/crab per gallon of tank. Let them work for another 30 days. Start your water changes again - I did 5 gal every other week in a 125 gal tank. Increase your light time to normal. Let your live rock do its job and the new bacteria will do it's job.

It has been two months now and you will be ready to add a fish, something hardy. It worked for me. Time and new bacteria seemed to be the trick. Do not add more than one fish per two weeks. Best of luck to you. Don't give up, the result is TOTALLY worth the trouble. Let me know how things work out.

-Marco :sfish:

i am here to say that i am the proud new owner of a marron and white clown :^: :mrgreen: :Cheers: :bounce: i took out everything that was in the sump the carbon media and the ammonia media. i amn going to see how he does then i am going to add something else

From one thing to the other

now that i have solved the fish problem. i have another problem i have 4 12k 65 watt (soon to be 10k) and 4 blue actinic bulbs. my cup coral and my flower pot coral will not come out unless 2 of the 12k and 2 of the blue actinics are off. any one have any suggestions as to what the reason could be. i have had the cup for about 3 weeks and the flower pot for 1 week. also how likely is it that i can get a seabae to stay on the sand so he doesn't interfre with my corals

Last edited:
Well of the 5 sebae's Ive sen, theyve all stayed in the sand. We even put them on the rocks in a tank with next to no flow, and it moved back to the sand anyways.

Not sure on those lights, but also the sebae is a hard anenome to keep.

Check out acclimation for corals helpful articles. I believe it is photo shock, or wrong intensity or spectrum. consider where they came form and the lighting they were under there. then compare your lighting and you should be able to determine the cause and effects.

jhnrb said:
I believe it is photo shock, or wrong intensity or spectrum. consider where they came form and the lighting they were under there. then compare your lighting and you should be able to determine the cause and effects.

i thought about that so i moved them up in the tank and they would not come out at all. but when i put them at the bottom of the tank they would come out a little when one set of pc were on, but when the other set was on they would retract back in. would that still be a intensity problem

It could be many things but i believe with what we know at this time it is most likely spectral and possibly intensity depending on the previous month of exposure before you got um. you did not say what light conditions they were under before arriving in your system. With the lights you have i would recommend two 6500k florescent bulbs. also are your atinics - blue 460 nm, or atinic 420nm?

Back