stupid mistake i discovered lately...

devicore16

Reefing newb
my tanks been up for 3months now when i found out something,.. my uncle who set up my tank used TAP WATER!!!! he didn't tell it to me coz he thought it was ok.. and i also didnt notice it because the inhabitants in my tank are doing fine.. i already have a community and some corals..
now the question is, is it okay?? or will it do harm to my tank.. im thinking of just catching up with water changes instead of replacing 100% of the current water in my tank, coz probably i have to cycle again.. you think it will be fine if I do that? what can tap water really do? will it kill everything in my tank in time?? or ill just continue my tank and do water changes instead of starting everything all over again??? its pretty hard starting all over again..:frustrat:

You're fine. I would imagine your uncle used something to remove the chlorine from the water first....or nothing would have lived.
Depending on the quality of your tap water, you may or may not have any algae related problems by using it. Just continue to do water changes with RO/DI water and enjoy the tank. :)

If you keep doing regular water changes, eventually you'll dilute out the tap water so much that it won't matter. If all your animals are doing fine, there's nothing to panic about.

I started out using tap water.And still use it every once in a while when I cant get to wal-mart to get RO water.Just use RO or distilled from now on and your tank will be fine.

I started out using RO water but after that I use nothing but tap. I have had my 55 reef up for over a year. It all just depends on the tap water you have.

We used tapwater initially, which meant we battled algae for awhile. As everyone said, you should be fine with regular water changes. :)

Back