stupid mistakes

monique

Reefing newb
how many of you have made stupid mistakes that cost you? i'll start -water change with town water. unbeknown to me town had just shocked system- total wipeout- $1000 -had tank in upstairs living room in new house. big window,heat wave,105 degrees in room, cooked tank $1000 remidies- r o unit, move tank to downstairs living room-no sun my son-built a structure out of pbc tube and rock,though he was using aquarium safe silicone-wrong- had a mouldicide in it- comlete tank wideout in 10 hrs-$4000

well mine worn't so much stupid as being unaware, also every time it happened i moved up a tank size,
my son did a bunch of research on the silicone and asked on his reef network every one said the brand he had was safe. the company changed their recipe- to say he's upset is a mild understatement. he had a powder brown tang and a regal angel that were doing great in a 220 reef tank- everything just melted.

Crossing my fingers that this is the only mistake I make, but left my RO/DI system on when filling up a 5g bucket for a coworker and lost a few gallons on the floor. My LFS is very good about keeping my patient and giving me great advice so hopefully I don't make any big mistakes. I am also a research junkie so I hope to mitigate any massive issues. I don't even want to post this because it is just going to invite an issue...

well thats what my son does too. researchs everything he spent a while researching the brand of sylicone he used.
Crossing my fingers that this is the only mistake I make, but left my RO/DI system on when filling up a 5g bucket for a coworker and lost a few gallons on the floor. My LFS is very good about keeping my patient and giving me great advice so hopefully I don't make any big mistakes. I am also a research junkie so I hope to mitigate any massive issues. I don't even want to post this because it is just going to invite an issue...
everyone overruns their ro unit, no biggy

biggest mistake I made was when purchasing a 280 gallon second hand tank was listening to the seller. I used the old sand and most of his water too. (was told by him to keep it because of good bacteria). and not to wash it. Within months of taking it over it was covered in cyno. Previous owner then informed me after the purchase that he had it 7 months and never dosed or done 1 water change in the whole time he owned it His RODI unit also had 2 cylinders in upside down so wasn't working properly . Didn't lose anything thank god, lots of water changes, vaccummed out whole sandbed and now have a clean healthy tank. Advise is to check all equipment and research before such a big move. This was our first tank so didn't know any better.

I think we have all made some huge mistakes in this hobby, I don't think I have any as costly as you mentioned all at once at least but many that are costly in livestock; I had a pair of Maroon clowns, the male passed so now i want to find a mate for the female as she is still of breeding age, I have placed three canidates in the tank and she has caused all three to go to their demise. Think I would know that once she has established territory that she will not accept another mate. My things are on a much smaller basis but on a long ru they still add up to be costly.

Red coris wrasse was my biggest livestock mistake. Ate 2 beautiful green spotted dragonets. All my hermit crabs and every single snail in the tank. Each snail $15-20. Hermits $6 each & dragons $59 each. In nearly 7 foot tank I had heaps. Am slowly replacing one by one now he us gone ! Lol

i have always done okay that way, i haqe never put anything in my tank that was distructive to the other life. got a fireworm once, but got him out before he did to much damage and have had a few crabs come in on live rock but got them out too once i found them .

Back