Stupid Question about Biocube HQI 29

aveda6

Newbie Reef
Hello all. First off, thank you all for the great forum. There is a ton of insightful information. I just purchased a 29 gallon Biocube HQI and filled it with the water and sand. The question I have is whether or not chamber 2 (the refugium) should end up being full of water or not. Chamber 1 is full and it's cascading into chamber 2. Chamber 2 is almost empty and chamber 3 is just above the minimum water line. Should I continue to add water until the water line is well above the minimum?

thank you in advance....

Jim

thank you for the response. I ended up putting another gallon in and that seems to have helped out. I'm not used to this built-in system in the back. My old 35 gallon tank was just a standard glass square so when it is was full it was easier to tell. The refugium is about 1/2 full (maybe a little more) so it seems much better. I am still waiting on the purchase of live rock so I'll be taking a bunch of water out relatively soon, but I wanted to make sure I understood the system before getting too far into it.

I love the pics of your tank. I'm going to take pics along the way and see how it goes. When I first had a saltwater tank a few years ago it took quite a while before I was comfortable with it and managed to have things survive. I learned a lot from that and I'm hoping to have more success this time (and move much more slowly).

Thank you for the nice welcome....

Welcome to the site! Make sure to start a build thread in the Tank Showcase so we can all get to see your pics!

I have a biocube 29 also. Water should flow into chamber 1 then 2 and the pump should push it out of 3 back into the main display. I put cheato in chmaber 2 with strong lights on it and it helped my tank a lot.

All, thank you very much. I'll have to start the build thread you mentioned once I get further into this. I'm hoping to get the rocks today. Looking forward to reading through the forums...

Back