stupid question

Thats right UWW.
Wait untill ammonia and nitrite are 0 then do a pretty good water change to lower the nitrates.

I agree 5-7 gallons for your tank. After that, add one fish and wait about a week. After that week, look to add a second fish and start with a good soft coral. I like to wait a month with a new tank before adding LPS corals. Start off with some mushrooms or green star polyps - they are a great beginning coral. With your light, you would want to put those mushrooms down toward the bottom.

-Doc

define a little? 20ppm is not terrible. If you get up towards 40ppm, you will have a problem with corals. that is why I add one fish first and wait for a month before adding the first coral. nitrates are not bad for fish until you get upwards to 80-100ppm. It will take about a month for your nitrate levels to even out.

-Doc

your bacteria needs to grow for a bit before they will efficiently consume nitrates. It does take time, which is why regular water changes are do important. You will notice that each week that you change your water, they will get less and less. after that first month it will be about 0-5ppm, which is great for your first coral

-Doc

yes, I would wait for corals. while 20ppm isn't terrible, you want your water quality to be stable for a while before adding a coral. I say wait. You have waited this long, it won't kill you to wait another week. it is OK to add a small cleaning crew at this point. a few snails and a serpent star, that will give you something to look at. drop in a pinch of mysis once every three days for the crew to eat until you get your fish. They will starve without food.

-Doc

more live rock is always a good idea. target for 1-2 lbs per gallon for your tank. It will help to get rid of the nitrates to have more live rock. If you add the sand though, it will likely create an increase of ammonia, which you do not want. there is a reef booster packet you can buy at the LFS that has more bacteria in it that may help kick things up so you can add a coral by the end of the week. If you are dead set on getting a coral this week, add another 5-6 lbs of live rock, an emerald crab, some snails, a serpent star and do another 5 gallon water change on friday. let it sit overnight and get you a coral on saturday.

-Doc

I'm not in that big of a rush I just want to put it in before I leave a week from friday for vacation because this tank is much more stable than my 12.

I'll put my brittle some snails and hermits in and feed them every 3 days and add 6 lbs or so of rock

I'm going to take down my 12 and make it saltwater eventually so if it can be empty before I leave that would be great.

Back