Stupid Question !!!!

Lesely

Reefing newb
This question seems really dumb but I REALLY don't get it ?

Red Sea Foundation A (cal) liquid
1ml/100liters = 2ppm Calcium
If I add 10ml of this to a tank (1000liters) with reading at 400 cal what would it then go up to ?

Same with Red Sea Foundation B (alkalinity powder)
1g/100liters = 0.35dkh(.012meq/l)
If I add 10gram to my 1000 liter tank what exactly does it raise my alk if I start at 8.6

Red Sea Foundation C (mg power)
1g/100 liters = 1.34ppm Mag
If I add 10gram of this to my 1000liter tank that is at 1300 what should it now be ???

i do have a 1000 liter tank so this would help me a ton.
I am really hoping someone can answer my questions in very simple numbers, instead of being a computer dummy I am a dosing dummy!!!!
I am manually dosing !

NO I AM SORRY. I WAS TOLD THAT SAYING YEARS AGO AND I LIKE TO PASS IT ALONG...

GOOD LUCK.
lol...thanks! I am actually glad you don't know the answer as it doesn't make me look like an absolute dummy. I like that saying too and it will stick with me !

Adding 1 of anything per 100 will give the same result as adding 10 per 1,000.
So, if adding 1ml for every 100 liters adds 2 ppm to calcium, adding 10 for 1,000 will also add 2 ppm.

Adding 1 of anything per 100 will give the same result as adding 10 per 1,000.
So, if adding 1ml for every 100 liters adds 2 ppm to calcium, adding 10 for 1,000 will also add 2 ppm.
I understand that but what I dont understand is that if you have a cal reading before dosing of 400 will my reading after dosing be 402 or 420 ???
alk currently 8.6 add 10 mil reading is now ????
mag currently 1300 add 10 ml reading is no ????

I must be really dumb !

Last edited:
402, 8.95, 1301.34. What are your targets?
Current readings
mag 1300
alk 8.6
cal 400

would like
mag 1350
alk 9
cal 430
Wow its going to tank a ton of dosing to get up to them isn't it ? what is the maxium I can dose safely in a 24 hour period ?

It may take a lot to get it there, but keeping stable is easy once you get it down.

You will need 150 ml of Calcium, 1 gram of Alk (will get you close enough), and about 268 g of Magnesium. I would probably do 50 ml of Calciumevery day for 3 days and then all of Alk and Magnesium at once. Test a couple hours after each dose to be safe and then test daily after that until you get it down to a science, then weekly for Calc and Alk and monthly for Magnesium.

It may take a lot to get it there, but keeping stable is easy once you get it down.

You will need 150 ml of Calcium, 1 gram of Alk (will get you close enough), and about 268 g of Magnesium. I would probably do 50 ml of Calciumevery day for 3 days and then all of Alk and Magnesium at once. Test a couple hours after each dose to be safe and then test daily after that until you get it down to a science, then weekly for Calc and Alk and monthly for Magnesium.
Thanks . Is it not dangerous to add 268gram of mag all at once ?? Should I do a 250ltr water change first and go from those readings ?

I would double check readings before, and if you want, you can do a change and start fresh. What's your salinity at, though? Because like Steve alluded, you may be low and raising your salinity would raise all of those levels.

And no, when you do a 3 part, you usually dose the gallon of Calc and Alk and when you're done with both, you add the mag all at once.

I would double check readings before, and if you want, you can do a change and start fresh. What's your salinity at, though? Because like Steve alluded, you may be low and raising your salinity would raise all of those levels.

And no, when you do a 3 part, you usually dose the gallon of Calc and Alk and when you're done with both, you add the mag all at once.
salinity is always at 1.024 - 1.025 ? is that acceptable ? Husband says it exactly between 1.024 and 1.025 with the refractomer

I keep my tank a 1.026 and I'm at
Cal 420
Alk 9
Mag 1380
Without dosing.
I'm using SeaChem Reef Salt.
We use red sea coral pro - We have what I consider a lot of corals although other people say moderate amount. When I do this water change I might up the salinity slightly, check parameters and dose from there.
LFS just told me that the calcium reading would go from 400 - 420 so I have only been dosing a very small amount, now i know it is 400 - 402 and not (20) I will dose a lot more.
Thanks for your help .

Back