Stu's 240 build thread.

Stupidsreef

Reefing newb
First I'd like to correct one thing. My tank is called a 240 gallon but if you do the math it's more like 225, so I refer to it as a 225 gallon.

I hate to do this, But I started out over @ RC ( Reef Central ) and that's where my Build thread is at. Rather than try to copy and paste every page I'll provide a link here:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1092498

As I update I'll post the pic's here too.

If this is not allowed please let me know. I understand and will ask that it be removed.

Yea, I'm not a fan of RC. That's why I'm over here now, getting tired of the BS over there.

Anyway here are the most rent pics of my tank. Taken this week by D.french.

DSC00930.jpg

DSC00931.jpg

DSC00932.jpg

DSC00934.jpg

DSC00935.jpg

DSC00936.jpg

This is a pic of my tank a few months ago while trying to repair it. I had Fern Caulpra go a-sexual on me cause I got too lazy. The really white rock is from a local reefer who make's his own Rock, D.French gave me this peice.

137-3726_IMG.jpg

137-3727_IMG.jpg

The next pic is a yellow Tang that an ex-reefer--ex-friend bought after told not to for another friend who ask if I would hold it until he was ready.

137-3728_IMG.jpg

137-3729_IMG.jpg

In this pic is the yellow tang and a tiny baby Niger Trigger. Both fish were bought by a dumb-ass and I ended up with them. The trigger died as I told the fool who bought it that it would. It was too small and ended up stuck in my overflow set-up.
137-3730_IMG.jpg

Last edited:
This is a pic of my Coral Banded Shrimp.

137-3731_IMG.jpg

This is a pic of my Wife's purple Acan. She had to have it. We had it now for 2 years.

138-3854_IMG.jpg

138-3856_IMG.jpg

This is a pic of my frogspawn. It was a frag 2 years ago from a friend.

138-3859_IMG.jpg

And a clam my wife bought 2 years ago.

138-3860_IMG.jpg

My GSMC I bought him 2 years ago for $14 at one of our LFS. He was about an inch in size.

138-3863_IMG.jpg

Another pic of the purple Acan from a distants.

138-3864_IMG.jpg

I'm going to have to resize these pics there huge when I post them. Soory about that. All the pics from above are from earlyer this years around june or so.

Welcome Stupid![I'm going to love saying your username in future thread.]

I know how you feel with macroalgae going asexual.I'm sure you'll be back to your past glory.BTW,what is the green thing on the back/top right side,GSP?

Stupid is as Stupid does! :D lol, sorry.

Hey, question about that frag rack. Is it up at the top of the tank? Not too close to the lights for some frags? How long do you leave them there?

Welcome Stupid![I'm going to love saying your username in future thread.]

I know how you feel with macroalgae going asexual.I'm sure you'll be back to your past glory.BTW,what is the green thing on the back/top right side,GSP?

I've had to work hard for that username, & I'll fight for it to:mrgreen:

The macroalgea was last year & part of early this year. I got rid of it and I'm back now.

And Yes that is GSP!! I put a small piece of it up there to cover the black color of the overflow. Rather than look at it I figured the GSP would be cool. I love it, it moves with the water flow and is eye catching. Thanks for noticing it!!

Stupid is as Stupid does! :D lol, sorry.

Hey, question about that frag rack. Is it up at the top of the tank? Not too close to the lights for some frags? How long do you leave them there?

Yes the frag-rack hangs from the top of the tank. I run T5 Giessmann Bulbs and I've never had them bleach any frags up there. I put them up there for a few weeks when I first get them. Just to make sure there no Red-bugs and the Super glue is good and harden and there in over-all good health. Once I feel there ok I place them in the tank. Or if I have Zoa's thats being bothered by a fish or crab or snail I'll place them up there until they start growing really good & then put them back in there place.

Welcome and I appreciate your pics of the tank. What is the end goal with the tank?! I LOOOOOVE the Acan. Great piece!

-Doc

And Yes that is GSP!! I put a small piece of it up there to cover the black color of the overflow. Rather than look at it I figured the GSP would be cool. I love it, it moves with the water flow and is eye catching. Thanks for noticing it!!

Its a brilliant idea,someone gave me the idea here.I been slapping GSP all over the back glass too.

the only thing you need to worry about is softies dont have a hard skeleton to protect themselves so they use chemical warfare to stay safe, and chemical warfare and stonies dont mix well

Welcome and I appreciate your pics of the tank. What is the end goal with the tank?! I LOOOOOVE the Acan. Great piece!

-Doc

Well for starter's, to stop screwing it up :lol:. And if I can do that, I'm more into the SPS & LPS. But a few softies catch my eye. The fish are mainly the one's my wife & son pick out. I was pulling the 'ole "you can't have that" trick on them for awhile. But they started reading the books :yikesu: !! DAMN those schools, teachin' my boy to read :shock: !! I got the SMC and the CB, my two favorites. I've got a chalice in there that's my "pride" coral, but I had to put it in a freinds tank for a month ( due to my lazyness ) and it was suffering really bad. I've almost got it back. I like Acro's and Milli's And Horn's, Acan's, Favia's, Blastomussa's and such. But I also like Zoa's and I'm a sucker for the Toadstool Leather, I just gotta have one :roll:. I want a mini reef, but the tank is a family tank, so I have to give in a little. My wife went to the LFS with our son ( without me, which was scary ) and that's was she brought home. She likes buy stuff for it, but wants nothing else to do with the hobby after that. I'm glad ya like it, it's nice to hear that sometimes. Thank you.

that is a clever idea. I guess you aren't so stupid after all Stupidsreef

Easy now, I'm gonna have to knock on wood now :lol:

I got the idea from another reefer. He had it growing on his glass and I didn't know it would do that. So when I set up this tank, I figured I'd give it a try. My tank is custom so my over-flow couldn't have the black Arcylic cover. I had a piece of black Arcylic so I cut it and sealed it to the over-flow. Then I was looking at it and thought, that sucks, why black?? I wanted some color and I was given some GSP and remember that reefer's tank. So I thought I'd try it on my over-flow to give it color and some movement. So far so good. But thanks for the kind words :).

Back