sub straight

If its an established tank I would do a whole system change. If you start stirring up the substrate with the fish in it the system may go into a huge cycle and may kill your live stock. :twocents:

Just siphon it out when doing a water change if you can. That way a lot of what is stirred up ends up in a bucket instead of floating around the tank.

would it hurt to take it out all at once if i do it that way?

Yes, you could potentially create a full fledged cycle. All the crap trapped in it could be released into the tank. Even if you try to siphon it all out, you will inevitably miss a bunch.
A ton of good bacteria and critters live in the substrate. Taking it all out at once would totally upset the entire balance of the tank. Pottentially not allowing the proper breakdown of the :pooh: released.

IMO, I would change out a section at a time. This allows the new section to become live and compensate for the amount that you take out next time.

Yes, you could potentially create a full fledged cycle. All the crap trapped in it could be released into the tank. Even if you try to siphon it all out, you will inevitably miss a bunch.
A ton of good bacteria and critters live in the substrate. Taking it all out at once would totally upset the entire balance of the tank. Pottentially not allowing the proper breakdown of the :pooh: released.

IMO, I would change out a section at a time. This allows the new section to become live and compensate for the amount that you take out next time.

Exactly. You should do it in portions. take out 1/4 to 1/3 with your bi-weekly water changes.

Back