Success! Oh, and a question....

Picasso

Seahorse Whisperer
Yeah! I finally put stuff in my tank! Here's the pics...
www.catherinethereefkeeper.blogspot.com

Question: I was thinking I would let my sand community get moving for a month or so before I added a fish or coral. Am I being too careful? How long should it take for my clean-up crew to get established?

Thanks,
Catherine

I don't really know how you know if it has cycled. The live sand, cured rock and water have been in there since Nov 1st. All the levels have stayed in the safe zone since then. Only today my pH and ammonia raised a bit when I added all my sand critters.

Thanks,
Catherine
www.catherinethereefkeeper.blogspot.com

Well, that's a good question. I got those dip sticks (yes, I know they're not accurate) and all of them say everything is good. All the colors match where they are supposed to. My tank is 78 degrees and my hydrometer reeds between 1.o21 and 1.022. I think those are the right numbers. Does that help?

Catherine

Ammonia and nitrite has to be at zero before adding anything else.If it is,then you can add a fish.I believe you got some detrivores in the packages so why not give them fish poop to feed on.

a tad, i suggest now that you have live animals you get some accurate drip testing kits from a reliable company like salifert or sera or API for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH

Seeing the tank has only been set up for a few weeks and your not sure if it cycled. Seeing you used LR and LS you may skip the cycle. If it was me I would hold off a week before I add a fish.

If you only added sand rock etc were only added on the first, chances are you are just going through your cycle right now. You should give it a good 4-6weeks from the time you added rock. You may be good since the rock you added was "cured" Even cured rock will have some die-off, this is probably why your levels are showing a little spike. Get a good test kit, you will want alk, cal, Nitrate, ?Nitrite, PH, Ammonia, phosphate. check your levels. Then go from there. Good luck!

Back