Sudden Algae Problem

Chris

Reefing newb
I have attached several photos, the first one was taken a month ago of the same area. Now within a week I have a serious brown algae coating the bottom and the rocks. I was wondering if anyone could identify the algae and maybe the cause. I have 0 nitrates, nitrites & ammonia. I also have a two fishes phosphate reactor. Im getting concerned because of the speed this algae has spread. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. :death:

if neutrient levels rise alga are the first life forms to take advantage of the abundance, and their growth can practically explode. among the factors that most strongly influence nutrient levels are the efficiency of the filtration system, the quality of th source water, the organic load from decorative material (live rock and thick sand beds, the animal population and the foods introduced. low salinity is a source for uncontrollable growth of filamentous algae. you may have a cynobacteria problem. could be silicates, clean all filters, protien filter, and make sure you have ample substrait stirers, and if you are adding chemicals ie vitamins, minerals cut back. and watch the food supply. no light below 6000K. and finally did you add anything to the tank within the last 10 days or changed anything you are doing. shut off and clean the uv sterilizer quartz sleeve. oh and siphon off as much of the slime you can. once the food source is gone or depleted the problem will go away. vacuum at the bottom of the rocks where the sand is for any detritus, or take a pump and blow all your rock like a storm and then do a complete cleaning. hope something here helps

Last edited:
Ah, must be becuase I started dumping the fish food in the tank daily instead of using a turkey bastor and spot feeding. Opps... I got lazy and now have to pay for it. Back to the turkey bastor.

I had a simular algae in my tank and I introduced a fighting conch to the tank.Ever since my sandbed and lover rock surface is nice and clean.

Back