Sudden Death :(

I came home yesterday to find my magnificent foxface had died and I'm not sure why. This fish was my pride and joy and I am so depressed right now. My only big fish since I set up this 125 gal in February. He was the last fish added, a few months ago. All other fish are acting normal. I didn't see any thing wrong with the body when I took it out other than that his eyes were gone. No signs of disease on him ever, and no spots or anything on other fish. The only thing I noticed "wrong" with him was that he would swim with his nose up and down the glass a lot, like he was trying to escape, from the corners and front of the tank. But he ate pretty well with the exception of the last few days when I noticed he was eating but not with as much enthusiasm as usual. Also I'm feeling bad because this past weekend I changed the rockscape, the only time I'd done that since I set up the tank, and maybe it stressed him too much. I was really careful to move slowly and wait for him to swim to the other side before I moved rocks. This is the most depressing thing to happen to my tank right now. I QT'd him so carefully, felt so lucky to find a mag foxface because they don't get them in often. Every night I'd think how much I loved this fish. Guess I loved him too much :(

Lisa, I am so sorry :( Sometimes fish die and we just don't know why. It doesn't sound like you did anything wrong.

The other thing I noticed besides his pacing the glass a lot recently was that the sand was gone from one corner of the tank when I found him dead. Would a dying fish roll around in the corner before going behind the rocks to die?

I'm sorry to hear about the fox, and fishy is right sometimes animals (not only fish) die suddenly. I had a healthy cat for 5 years and it randomly died one night with no signs. Sadly sometimes when you do everything right, bad things still happen. Best of luck hun.

Thanks Little Fish. I guess I'm feeling a little down also because I also lost that wrasse that I got from LA a few months ago too. It didn't look good on arrival so I didn't blame myself too much. But my foxface I thought was doing so well, so it's harder. Also I have a few corals that aren't happy and I can't figure out why (need to make a separate post soon for advice on that). This hobby has it's ups and downs, and I know that from reading other posts that it happens and not to get discouraged.

Don't get discouraged! That's the worst thing that you can do. A lot of downfalls come out of nowhere in this hobby, I have lost several corals myself and it's awful. Just remember to keep learning and things will look up for you!

Well said Amba :) I still have a lot to feel happy about...the rest of my fish are healthy, some corals are looking good, and I seem to be keeping the tank algae-free so far (except for the darn bubble algae, argh!). And yes, there's always more to learn.

Try an emerald crab for the bubble algae. I had a bunch of it, and added one small emerald, who cleaned it all up in just about 2 weeks for me.

I did add 4 of them about a month ago. I think they're working on it. The foxface was helping a lot :( I think one crab ate my cleaner shrimp though, as it disappeared the same day I added the crabs. Yes I have had some bad luck lately. I really liked that cleaner shrimp.

Bummer :(
I've had a cleaner for a while now, and I've only seen him a couple times because he hides in the back under a rock until midnight when just the Royal Blue LEDS are on. Then he decides to come out and play :-p

Back