Suggested Anemone

BigFishy

Reefing newb
Hiyea,

I have a clown fish, one peppermint shrimp and some coral in a 17 gallon tank. I was thinking of getting an anemone, but not sure what type would go well with coral and peppermint shrimp. Also, I was thinking of getting another fish, but not sure what type of fish yet. Are there any anemones that go well with coral?

Also, can you trim an anemone if they get to big? I assume not, but just checking.

Thanks

Hi,
Since you have just set up your tank, I will advise against getting an anemone. They are very difficult animals to keep, require high lighting and pristine water conditions. They rarely do well in tanks that have been set up for less than a year. They also can kill everything else in the tank if they get sick or die. They are not a good choice for your setup.

There are plenty of corals that will do fine in your tank with your other animals. Are there any of those that you are interested in instead of the anemone?

I think most people go with the bubble tipped nems, they are reported to be the easiest to keep.

However, i would not recommend you get any sort of nem until your tank is at least a year old. Nems are extremely sensitive to bad and changing water quality, and when they die they can and will kill everything in your tank. They are require extremely high light conditions, much more than any coral.

Also, it isnt a guarantee that your clown will host the nem.

You should look into things like hairy mushrooms, they look kinda like a nem and they are easy to keep.

For fish, look into to some sort goby or blenny. liveaquria.com also has a nano fish section that has fish the right size for your tank.

Nano Fish

When the time comes, are you looking for an anemone for your clown to host, or one just because. BTAs and LTAs are some of the more hardy host anemones but, if you're just looking for an easy one to start out with rock flower anemones are the easiest to keep in our tanks and can handle changes in your water parameters better then most anemones. You can find some very bright and cool colors too. I got one as a hitchhiker when I first set up my tank and it has managed to make it through my tank cycling, poor water conditions and massive algae outbreaks and it's still going strong.

what kind of anemone is the one that seems to be a stem and a semi flat top? Ulta has one in his 24 gallon showcase. I love that anemone but I dont know what specific type it is. Any idea?

Try pizza or mini-maxi anemones, tiny-small and very colorful. Don't put any carpet anemone which will overgrown your tank.

Back