Suggestions for Hearty non timid fish

sludge

Reefing newb
Hello all,
I got my 34 Gallon Redsea Nano running sometime in February and haven't put any fish other than 2 Convict blennies into the system. Unfortunately they hide all day in the many caves they've created and only come out when being fed. I'm looking to add 2 maybe 3 more fish but need them to be quite hearty and not timid but nice to look at. I also must add that the temperature in my tank can reach up to 82 F (it shot up to 87 F when my thermostat crapped out) on occasion.

Originally i wanted to add Darwin Clowns but that will just be too much black and white, would like some colour.

Any helpful suggestions would be great. Thanks.

Good plain ol' Ocellaris Clowns.

+1 for the clowns.

Or maybe some Blue/Green Chromis, they're pretty harty, they're open swimmers, and they're a good fish for a beginner just in case things go haywire they're inexpensive fish. They're a solid color but as your light hits them, they have different hues to them. They're also a very friendly fish.

Some people have had issues with them lasting in a tank, most people buy them in odd number (3) and they'll school together, but only for awile until they get used to their surroundings then they tend to separate.

I think they're a great beginner fish.

I second the clown idea.They are definitely not timid.

Ocellaris,Percula.Misbars and Naked clowns are all suitable fish for your size system.If you are adventurous and have money to blow apair of Picasso clowns or Snowflake clowns would be awesome.

+1 everyone on the clowns. They might seem like a pretty generic fish but they're full of personality.

try the vermosa wrasse as long as you dont have a reef tank, if you have a reef tank the fairy wrassie is a great addition:bounce:

Thanks for the advice, I ended up going with 2 Ocellaris Clowns and a yellow wrasse. The Clowns are awesome as they dance about but the yellow wrasse was nipped by one of my emeralds and a blenny and hit the dirt. After about 8 hours or so i stirred the wrasse out and he's been hangin out ever since. Finally something to look at. :)

Glad to see another Red Sea Max owner on here! I had some heat issues as well so I ended up adding a chiller, however it doesn't run much. Do you have the additional cooling fan that goes on the back? If not that will help. Let me know if you have any questions or need help; I've had mine 3+ years now and have been pretty happy with it.

You should get that temperature stable if you havent yet. You will end up having some issues. Fish will stress easily with temperature spikes.

You can't go wrong with the ocellaris clowns.

snowflake or picaso clowns are beautiful in my opinion.
Naked Ocellaris clowns and extreme misbar ocellaris clowns are nice and a bit less spendy.

That is if the run of the mill clown isn't your taste.

aquacon.com has a good variety

34G is not a nano. Nanos are really 20G and smaller. You have a 'small' tank.

Pico tanks are about 2G and smaller and many of those are smaller than 1G.

Glad to see another Red Sea Max owner on here! I had some heat issues as well so I ended up adding a chiller, however it doesn't run much. Do you have the additional cooling fan that goes on the back? If not that will help. Let me know if you have any questions or need help; I've had mine 3+ years now and have been pretty happy with it.

Yes I have the auxiliary fan as well. How effective is your protein skimmer? Mine rarely creates foam.

My temperature is pretty stable at about 81-82 deg and I was told that should be fine so I'm not going to stress about getting it below 80.

Back