Suggestions for test kits

jamielynn

Reefing newb
Considering purchasing an in-home test kit since we live basically in the middle of nowhere and don't plan on going to the store about once a month to get water.
My budget is less than $100. What are the most important things I need to keep a watch of and what do you recommend for my budget.

Thank you!

Are you talking about a home water purification system? What you are looking for is an RO/DI unit. I purchased mine from Bulk Reef Supply. They make them in house and the cost is very competitive. Their replacement filters are also one of the best prices I have found. It is very worth it to not have to haul water, especially for you it sounds like. Good luck :)

No, we have family that is getting a big system in the near future, so we will use that.

I am looking for kits that test the 'water parameters'

For test kits, nitrate and ph are the most important, without corals. In the very beginning Ammonia and nitrates are good to have kits for too.
Once you get into corals, you need to test for calcium, alkalinity and magnesium.
I like Red Sea test kits.

For you water, what do you mean by "big system"?
If you are talking about a whole-house water softener or drinking water system, those typically are not enough for saltwater. You are shooting for ZERO TDS, for which you usually need a dedicated RO/DI system. We have a whole house water softener made by Dupure, and it's not even close.

I use the api reef mater test kit primarily. I also have a seachem one but I think it is harder to use. The api kit was $30 at petsmart..

For test kits, nitrate and ph are the most important, without corals. In the very beginning Ammonia and nitrates are good to have kits for too.
Once you get into corals, you need to test for calcium, alkalinity and magnesium.
I like Red Sea test kits.

For you water, what do you mean by "big system"?
If you are talking about a whole-house water softener or drinking water system, those typically are not enough for saltwater. You are shooting for ZERO TDS, for which you usually need a dedicated RO/DI system. We have a whole house water softener made by Dupure, and it's not even close.

I don't know what the name of the system is, but it's the system that makes the salt water and fresh water so they won't have to go to the store at all for water.

I found a ph test kit and tested the ph today. It was at 7.9. What would make that rise or lower..and if it did happen, what would I have to do? I don't think we are going to do coral anytime soon. Want to get the hang of keeping the fish alive before we try to focus on coral too ;) But we do have 1 live coral that came with the tank- so I would like to keep that alive!

I don't know what the name of the system is, but it's the system that makes the salt water and fresh water so they won't have to go to the store at all for water.

I found a ph test kit and tested the ph today. It was at 7.9. What would make that rise or lower..and if it did happen, what would I have to do? I don't think we are going to do coral anytime soon. Want to get the hang of keeping the fish alive before we try to focus on coral too ;) But we do have 1 live coral that came with the tank- so I would like to keep that alive!

Sounds cool!
Probably a RO/DI system but find out and let us know!

PH of 7.9 is fine and it should stay somewhere in the high 7's to low 8's. It's swings much higher or lower than that you would have to worry about. Good on you for taking it slow.

Back