Suggestions?

Sir Alex

Dragon the eel (below)
What kind of invertebrates could I get that wouldn't be eaten by a 2' Brazilian dragon moray eel, a blue jaw triggerfish, or a chocolate chip sea star:question:

The only ones that would be worth a shot are the cleaners... any shrimp with white antenna. The LFS guy told me when I purchased my skunk cleaner that everything would leave him alone because the white antenna say "don't eat me I'm here to help!"
I didn't believe him at first, but my skunk has been living in my tank for six months now with a Niger Trigger (and a Snokwflake Eel up until a couple weeks ago when I took him back to the LFS). I had peppermint shrimp that the trigger and the eel both ate... and hermits that the eel ate.

None that i can think of, sorry dude, the hazards of a FOWLR tank

What dose FOWLR stand for?

ErinCahir said:
I didn't believe him at first, but my skunk has been living in my tank for six months now with a Niger Trigger (and a Snokwflake Eel up until a couple weeks ago when I took him back to the LFS).

So why did you take him back?

FOWLR is "Fish Only With Live Rock".

And I took him back because he was eating new fish I put in the tank.
A flame and coral beauty angel, a male blue star leopard wrasse... and I'm pretty sure a female blue star leopard wrasse as well. He was a great fish, but I had to let him go.
He's still at my LFS... I got to feed him when I was in during the week.

I don't know about an anemone. What are your lights like?
And I would think the star would eat a feather duster, but I'm not too sure on that one.

I think the star would eat the feather duster as well

Just to let you know about the nems, they are some of the hardest animals to keep in this hobby. The require pristine water conditions and super high lighting conditions, and shouldnt be in a tank younger than a year old. They can die from tiny swings in conditions, and when they die they release toxins into the water that kill everything else.

And I would think the star would eat a feather duster, but I'm not too sure on that one.

At one point I had a chocolate chip sea star and a feather duster together and it didn't eat it. I don't see how it would be able to get inside it's tube.

little_fish said:
Just to let you know about the nems, they are some of the hardest animals to keep in this hobby. The require pristine water conditions and super high lighting conditions, and shouldnt be in a tank younger than a year old. They can die from tiny swings in conditions, and when they die they release toxins into the water that kill everything else.

Yah, the anemone sounds like a bad idea...

Nems arent a bad idea really, you just have to be educated about them! Someday your tank might be just perfect for one, but i dont think today is that day.

I've also read that they need very low nitrates. Do you think keeping the nitrates at less then 50 ppm is okay, or do I need to get a protein reactor?

Yes, 50 ppm for nitrates is high for anything. I really you want them to be less then 10 ppm all the time.

A protein skimmer would help out a lot, and realistically, Brian was right...ideally you want them below 10 ppm. Look into algae scrubbers as well.

Nems need your nitrates to at zero, and stable at zero. Other corals can survive a touch of nitrates (less than 10) but i would not risk these guys.

But keeping your nitrates at zero isnt a huge battle. Just run a fuge & skimmer set up or an algae scrubber. And most importantly, dont over stock and over feed your tank.

I just have an eel which is only fed a shrimp once every other day... With a 20% water change once every few weeks and a big lump of caulerpa in the filter the nitrates seem to stay between 10 and 30.

Last edited:
Back