Suicidal Clownfish

U4BOYZ

Got Fish?
I added an eggcrate over a part of my tank. Works great. My only question is...I found they only come it silver and white. Is it possible to spray paint them black? Once it's dry, is it dangerous to the fish?

My clownfish decided to hop on out of the tank this evening right after the lights went off. We heard her fall and just scooped her up and plopped her right back into the tank. She seems just fine after her ordeal but after a brief google search I've come up with everything from "your water parameters are off" to "fish just jump for funsies."

Any personal experiences or explanations on the matter?

Fish jump all the time. I think we've all lost a fish to "carpet surfing" at one time or another. Sometimes the lights turning on or off can scare them, especially if they are new to the tank. Sounds like that may have happened in your situation.

I would be hesitant to say that fish jump because water parameters are off... They jump out of perfectly healthy tanks all the time. Fact is, they get spooked easily. And in the ocean, they can swim upwards or jump all they want and nothing bad is going to happen to them. Maybe they just don't know it's bad for them ;)

You can buy eggcrate (sold in the lighting department, also called light diffusing grid) at Home Depot or Lowe's. Cut it to fit the top of your tank. That works to keep most (but not all) jumpers in.

Lastly, some species are more prone to jumping than others. Almost everyone that's ever had a goby or wrasse has had those fish jump. It's just what they do.

+1 Biff...I had a jumpin' firefish just a couple of weeks ago (he died cuz he was a moron LOL) After that, I did go to home depot and buy 2 of those grids. Cost me around $11 per sheet. I used 1 1/2 sheets for my 125 -- cut it up, and it fit perfectly over my tank. Can't even see it unless you're hovering above the tank.
DSC04934.jpg

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww227/wontonflip/125gallon/DSC04934.jpg

I would think that if the eggcrate is not in the water, you could use the spray paint made for plastics. I think it is called Krylon Fusion or something like that.

Back