Suicidal Firefish

Piggy

Reef enthusiast
Not sure which one it was JJ or Jeff but he jumped out of my tank. I was just thinking about putting something across the back of my canopy but wasn't sure what to use. Now I have to go to the fish store for a replacement. Bummer.

Sorry to hear about your firefish. Just wanted to second the opinion regarding egg crate. You can get it at Home Depot or Lowes, as well as other home improvement stores. I would recommend the white egg crate as the silver can flake off.

i know fire fishes are known to be jumpers but mine never goes near the surface ... he is always hanging out at the bottom and darting into his hole when bigger fish swim toward him ... he seems to get spooked easily ... i guess it is hit or miss with them ... sorry about your fish though

Your system is plenty big Piggy.One of my purple chases the other across the whole tank,aggressively.I've been thinking of adding one or two more to disperse it's anger.

If this is just the back of the canopy,window screen/mesh maybe a better option than eggcrate.Easily,stapled or superglued if necessary.

wow i am actually surprised that you have had them act aggressive at one another ... i have never seen a firefish that didnt get along with each other ... most of the ones i have seen get along much like clowns ... they get along as long as they are the same color

I can't tell you how relentless one goes after the other,vicious little thing.I'm not sure why,maybe lack of threat or both are males(or female).It wasn't like this the first 6-8 months but it is now.

Mine never chased each other. I just don't want the one I have left die because it's alone. The two where inseparable. Have no idea what made it jump out of tank.

Back