Sump 101

flow control
20140519_214926.jpg
This is a gate valve that is for flow control, this is what controls fine tune flow.
20140519_215128.jpg
This is a ball valve, it has 2 functions, on and off. Folks use it to valve down and it is completely wrong. Huge companies like reef octopus use gate valves to regulate flow, I do not see any company yet use a ball valve to control flow.

In our plant gate valves are only used for fully open or fully closed applications. They open slowly to help prevent water hammers. They are not designed for flow control.

Ball valves are also used for fully open or fully closed applications. They can be used to throttle clear liquid like our aquarium water where they work to throttle flow in this application.

Globe valves are designed to regulate and throttle flow.

In our plant gate valves are only used for fully open or fully closed applications. They open slowly to help prevent water hammers. They are not designed for flow control.

Ball valves are also used for fully open or fully closed applications. They can be used to throttle clear liquid like our aquarium water where they work to throttle flow in this application.

Globe valves are designed to regulate and throttle flow.
I'm guessing, now just guessing that it has something to do with steam in your plant? Installing a ball valve wouldn't give you flow control, the gate valve/ globe valve will. Crack open a ball valve on steam and you would have a bomb. So I would say yes, they are used to throttle on start up and shut down.
the top one is not a gate valve it would be a stop valve
Please Google your response. Any valve that has the ability of stopping flow is called a stop valve. This Is a generic term. Point matter, if ordering a valve, make sure you're ordering the right one, I would not use a ball valve to regulate flow, if you are feeding something for instance, dt can handle 1000 gph and your frag tank can handle 800 gph and you have a return to sump installed with a pump of 2400gph I would not use a ball valve to trim throttle.

I'm guessing, now just guessing that it has something to do with steam in your plant? Installing a ball valve wouldn't give you flow control, the gate valve/ globe valve will. Crack open a ball valve on steam and you would have a bomb. So I would say yes, they are used to throttle on start up and shut down.
Steam, water, slurry, fly ash, bottom ash, coal, oil, air, fuel oil, and chemicals are some of the applications we use valves. In none of our cases are gate valves engineered or designed to throttle. Gate valves are designed for a full, free flow or no flow at all. On a small scale like our sumps you can do some throttling with it but that it not what it is designed to do. The same can be said for a ball valve in the scheme of things but it to will also work. We actually do have some ball valves that are used for throttling of steam entering/exiting our turbines. These ball valves are actuator operated and have been engineered to withstand the heat and velocity of steam passing through them while controlling flow. When I had my 150g a ball valve was used to throttle my return. That was how it was set up when I purchased the tank and it worked well so I did not bother changing it. I have ball valves on my current set up but I have no need to throttle so they are only used for isolation when I need to change out my return pump.

Globe valves and angle valves are specifically designed for throttling or flow control.

I am not arguing for or against the use of the gate or ball valve b/c honestly in my experience (work and hobby) either can do the job we want them to do in our sumps. I will contiue to use ball valves in this application:)

Steam, water, slurry, fly ash, bottom ash, coal, oil, air, fuel oil, and chemicals are some of the applications we use valves. In none of our cases are gate valves engineered or designed to throttle. Gate valves are designed for a full, free flow or no flow at all. On a small scale like our sumps you can do some throttling with it but that it not what it is designed to do. The same can be said for a ball valve in the scheme of things but it to will also work. We actually do have some ball valves that are used for throttling of steam entering/exiting our turbines. These ball valves are actuator operated and have been engineered to withstand the heat and velocity of steam passing through them while controlling flow. When I had my 150g a ball valve was used to throttle my return. That was how it was set up when I purchased the tank and it worked well so I did not bother changing it. I have ball valves on my current set up but I have no need to throttle so they are only used for isolation when I need to change out my return pump.

Globe valves and angle valves are specifically designed for throttling or flow control.

I am not arguing for or against the use of the gate or ball valve b/c honestly in my experience (work and hobby) either can do the job we want them to do in our sumps. I will contiue to use ball valves in this application:)
your talking about the super heat line from the deairater? How about all the mains? They have gate valves right after the ball valves to warm up the pipe. They are used in every place that produces stem, might not be right off the headers but they are on the supplies. We use globe valves to feed the boilers, for throttling but there is a float in the boiler to actuate it with 4 to 20 signal for percentage open. That ball valve doesn't regulate the flow, but more of the water column on the tank to not blow out the tubes.

your talking about the super heat line from the deairater? How about all the mains? They have gate valves right after the ball valves to warm up the pipe. They are used in every place that produces stem, might not be right off the headers but they are on the supplies. We use globe valves to feed the boilers, for throttling but there is a float in the boiler to actuate it with 4 to 20 signal for percentage open. That ball valve doesn't regulate the flow, but more of the water column on the tank to not blow out the tubes.
All our gate valves operate open or they are closed there is no between because they are not setup or used to throttle. All our hot reheat and cold reheat lines are set up with actuated ball valves and have throttle capabilities on our sister units (this was engineered in 2001 and installed in 2003). We run three units here. Two sister units built in the late 70's and a smaller unit built in the 60's.

Back