Sump 101

Well there is your answer relying on reef octopus information.. I'm sure the gate valve is more expensive than ball valves through them.. why not make money off people

A ball valve.
Last I checked, hose bibbs are not ball valves... Ball valves are usually quarter turn devices. Hose bibbs are generally not and require several turns to open or close them.
1672s.jpg

You're more than welcome to use what you like for flow control. I have yet to see someone use a gate valve for flow control, open or closed, no in between in an industrial application. I've used ball valves for flow control for as long as I've had aquariums, dad's a master plumber by trade and that's what I was told to use.

You're more than welcome to use what you like for flow control. I have yet to see someone use a gate valve for flow control, open or closed, no in between in an industrial application. I've used ball valves for flow control for as long as I've had aquariums, dad's a master plumber by trade and that's what I was told to use.
We use gate valves in steam lines. The reason is they open slower. Ball valves are on and off and cold pipes getting 300 plus degree steam tend to pop.
You can not regulate a ball valve, there is not percentage open, pure an simple fact. Gate valves in industrial apps, are great for slow open and close, obviously not to set to regulate but FINE tuning is 10 X's better than a ball valve. We are not subjecting these valves to harsh temps or even dirty water, it's to adjust a FINE tune on multiple outlets. Try running ball valves to 3 different places off of 1 pump and try to regulate it, then tell me how great they are. If you are using them to silence an over flow, not that big of a deal, I have never heard of ball valves are just as good to regulate flow. I guess most just have a simple overflow under their tank and that's it.
Any folks here with a sump, frag, and dt along 1 system here use ball valves to regulate flow from their basement? I really want to hear more complex setups than plumbing 3ft.

i ran one pump on my 55 with 2 ball valves one to control the DT and the to control the skimmer had no problems controlling either one

Ball valves are for controlling flow and gate valves should be either open or closed and not used for controlling flow.
I believe the opposite is true. Ball valves are very hard to adjust, as almost any movement is quite a large change in flow. Gate valves are the best for flow control and adjustment as you have a lot more ability to adjust them and control flow precisely.

Plumbing Valve Types

There are a number of different plumbing valves used to control the flow of water in a building. The pros and cons of each type are identified below.

Ball Valve
Ball valves are made with a rotating sphere that has a hole in it. In the open position, the hole in the sphere is in line with the pipe. When closed, the hole in the sphere is perpendicular to the pipe. The lever handle operates the valve, but also serves as an indicator for whether the valve is open or closed. When the lever is parallel to the pipe, the valve is open.

Ball valves do not allow for precise flow control because they usually have positive stops (0, 45, 90 degrees), but they do provide a very good seal in the closed position.

ballValveAnimation.gif

Gate Valve
Gate valves control water flow by raising or lowering the gate, which is generally a piece of metal. There is a wheel or knob at the top of a gate valve that controls the height of the gate - this, in turn, affects the flow of water. Unfortunately, the wheel doesn't provide any indication of whether the valve is open or closed, or to what extent.

Gate valves provide a reasonable seal, but they should not be used to adjust flow - they should be open or closed. Gate valves may not be very durable and are susceptible to corrosion, which will cause the valve to get stuck in the open or closed position.

gateValve.png

I've had my gate valves in for a year now. They work flawlessly. I have 2 ball valves to isolate the return pump and they have frozen up. I am afraid of turning harder on them because they may break.

Once again, the control on the gate valve is outstanding in comparing it to the ball valve in our application.

Back