sump and protein skimmer

emmett0122

Reef enthusiast
I have a 55 gal. with 28lbs of live rock a yellow tailed damsel, 1 peperment shrimp and a really big hermit crab i got from the beach. i am working on building a sump and protein skimmer. i am going to making this a reef tank soon but i want to get rid of all the stuff hanging off the back. i am attaching my plans for both. i am looking for some feed back on if they will work.

Attachments

• 10 gal sump 001.jpg
    10 gal sump 001.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 1,365
  • protein skimmer 001.jpg
    protein skimmer 001.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 1,101
most that i have seen do have three on the inlet side of the sump and only one panel on the return but the way i did it i was thinking i should be able to get rid of all the bubbles before get to the return pump

I've never built one with two the way you have them drawn....interested to hear how it works....IMO ...ive actually thought of doing 4--I HATE bubbles......keeep us posted if it works--it will mean a savings on glass if it does

i have filled it up and just ran the protein skimmer and i had no bubbles in the refug or the return pump but i need to get my overflow box box built so i can get it plumbed in to my tank once i get it up and running will let you know how it works and post some pics

The bubble trap will work with just 2 panes of glass. But you don't need two bubble traps -- you only need one, before the return pump.

well i had my sump and protein skimmer up and running. i made one change to my plans, witch was i made the second baffle 9" so i could put my heater in there. i have some bubbles in the refug part but 0 bubbles in the return pump part. the protein skimmer was starting to so work. the bad news is i started last mite at about 8 o'clock, and when i got up for at 4:30 my pump wasn't running. it was an old pump so i'm not anything but i had to put the hang on filter back on and move the heater back up to the tank. so now im in the market for a new pump. i have one question. where can i get filter socks? and do i really need one?

Back