Sump and Skimmer help!

DJ_Z

Reefing newb
So…my protein skimmer impeller is not working. I can do a couple extra water changes and let the live rock/sand handle it for now, but this issue will need to be addressed quickly. Can I simply buy a new impeller, or do I need to get an entirely new skimmer?

Second question is that, assuming my bank isn't broken by question A that I am looking to add a sump underneath my 40g. I have two old tanks unused, one 10g and one 29g high. Haven't decided which I'll use, as the debate is water volume vs space to work with, but either way what gph should I look for in the return pump? And should I look at gph vs the main tank or the entire system?

rule of thumb on return pump is 10 time the main tank volume but dont forget to tak in to account for head loss on the pump

At the risk of asking a silly question: what are the purpose of the baffles in a sump separating it into chambers?

At the risk of asking a silly question: what are the purpose of the baffles in a sump separating it into chambers?
Basically to set stable water levels and segment functions in the sump. Multiple baffles also work as a bubble trap to help keep the micro bubbles out of the display.

To answer question A yes just buy a new impeller, why would you buy a whole new skimmer? Hardest part may be finding out what kind you need. I know on all my pumps/powerheads all the tags are impossible to read after years of vinegar soakings and light exposure.

Lol I don't know why, that's why I asked.

However, Since I have some extra money on the way, I have decided to just upgrade from the odyssea to a better model anyways.

Back