Sump anyone?

cms722

Reefing newb
So I've come to the conclusion that I need to build a sump. I just got a 55 gallon tank and have been getting alot of really good feedback on everything as far as what I need to do. My next step, as I see it, is to get an overflow box and build a sump. What I would like to know is if there is anyone who as built a sump for a tank this size and what all I need to get. Also, what is a good size to use for the sump for a 55 gallon. If there are any step by step instructions that you could show me it would help as I am very visual and detail oriented. I have seen alot of pictures of sumps that have been built, just not alot of steps were included so I found the whole process a little confusing. I will be sure to put up pics of the process once I get a plan together and get it going. Thanks for all the time and help! :D

look at melevsreef.com for ideas if you are going to try a 100% build, thats what i did as I could not fit a standard tank under my stand. Otherwie you can use a 20 gallon tank and all you need to install are the baffles

look at melevsreef.com for ideas if you are going to try a 100% build, thats what i did as I could not fit a standard tank under my stand. Otherwie you can use a 20 gallon tank and all you need to install are the baffles
Lol that was going to be my other question. I wasn't sure what size tank, if I was going to use one, for the sump. With the stand I have now I can fit a 20 gal under there but I am going to eventually get a better stand. One that is more "eye appealing" lol.

Any ideas on whether a DIY protein skimmer is a good idea or not? Just been looking on youtube and alot of people seem to do them and I was curious if it was even worth it in the long run or if I should just eat the cost of buying one.

I know some people that have great DIY skimmers. If you can get it to work, it's well worth the savings.
Do you know of any that I can try that have been used that worked? I see alot of posts and blogs and youtube videos but with not knowing a whole lot about all of this yet it is hard for me to separate out the good ones from the ones that may not stand a chance. Thanks for the help

Did you measure the space in your current stand for the sump? My stand is really thin on my 55 so I had to have the sump custom made, wasnt expensive, but very small to fit. My friend calls it the "Doll House" sump, but it works.

a friend ordered a sump for his 55 from orca refugiums just go down to the
2410 Mini Profuge Package

it has everything you need except a pump and overflow
you get a skimmer light for your fuge one inch hose and the sump for $245 shipped

Did you measure the space in your current stand for the sump? My stand is really thin on my 55 so I had to have the sump custom made, wasnt expensive, but very small to fit. My friend calls it the "Doll House" sump, but it works.
I was going to actually build a stand for the tank. Alot of the ones I have found present the same problem you mentioned. But in case I do decide to buy one (if it ends up being cheaper in the long run) where did you order your custom one from? It might be something that would work better for me. Thanks again.

a friend ordered a sump for his 55 from orca refugiums just go down to the
2410 Mini Profuge Package

it has everything you need except a pump and overflow
you get a skimmer light for your fuge one inch hose and the sump for $245 shipped
It seems kind of pricy when I could do the whole thing myself. You said it comes with a skimmer though? That might make it more worth the price. I'll have to look into it more because the quick look at it that I did I didn't see mention of that. Thank you though.

I had the local glass guy make mine, I drew it up and told them it cannot be any wider than it was drawn. I even went so far as to make a cardboard cut out of the one side to make sure it would fit, I had to turn mine to get it in there, but its in there! $100 at the glass shop, if that helps.

I had the local glass guy make mine, I drew it up and told them it cannot be any wider than it was drawn. I even went so far as to make a cardboard cut out of the one side to make sure it would fit, I had to turn mine to get it in there, but its in there! $100 at the glass shop, if that helps.
Lol it might if I can find a glass shop around me to do it. Thanks.

So I've been looking for all the odds and ends that I seem to still need for my tank and I came across someone selling a bunch of stuff for really cheap. What I want to know is if any of it sounds any good or if it would even be worth getting. Here is what he says he has:

1. powercompact reef lighting (130 watts and 36 Watts).
2. Metal Halide ballast with barely used metal halide bulb. (175x2 watts)
3. AquaC protein filter (sump mounted,capacity 120G tank)
4. Marine Life protein skimmer ( hang on type)
5. 4 stage water filter with ppm meter
6. many pumps (Dolphine -560G, Rio-Model5 700G, Rio-9 x2 , Powerhead 402)
7. Over Flow power switch (protection device)
8. tubes ,hoseand valves etc.

Any feedback would be great. :^:

Back