sump build questions

siejack8484

Reefing newb
im in the process of building my 1st sump. its a 20g for my 75g tank. right now im in the process of putting the dividers in the sump. but for plumbing i was planning on using pvc pipe and have a diy overflow out of the pvc but what size pipe should i use? was thinking 1 inch maybe. also what size return pump should i be using with this setup?

The overflow box will set how large the piping needs to be down to the sump, and then you should get a pump with the same GPH as the overflow. The pump will actually pump back up less because of headloss, but this is just fine. Each pump will have different return piping sizes, so get your pump and then get your piping.

1" PVC will have a flow rate of about 960 GPH. Any bends (90 degree elbows, or 45's, or T's, etc) will lower this number.

For my 75 gallon (that is still being worked on), we've been testing with 1" pipe and a 1000 GPH pump. We've put ball valves on each end (drain and return) to help equalize. If I had to guess, my overflow (I built a large acrylic overflow box myself) is closer to the 700-800 GPH range.

In my opinion, you ideally want an overflow that can handle MORE than the max of your return pump. The overflow can ONLY drain as much as the pump can deliver. Put a valve on the return line so that you can dial it down there if you need to. Placing one on the overflow could be asking for trouble as you are inviting a possible clog. Good luck.

Back