Sump build - Silicone Issue

Ithaca9

Reefing newb
Apparently 100% silicone does -not- always mean 100%. I accidentally grabbed a tube of silicone that was listed as 100% silicone. In the contents it had only silicone listed. I used it to put the separators in my sump. I haven't installed the sump yet, but I found out the silicone I used has a mold/fungus protectant (listed in this tiny font on the tube). I am scraping all the silicone off right now, but I'm worried about the small amount that has come in contact with the original silicone from the aquarium I'm using. If I can't get it all off can I cover it really well with new aquarium-safe silicone or do you think it's too late? I really don't want to have to trash the tank just because I couldn't interpret the freaking tube. I found new "Aquarium safe, harmless to fresh and saltwater fish" silicone and will use that from now on.

Any other suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

ok, time for me to show my ignorance.. whats up with the anti-microbe stuff? does it leach into the water and kill things?

Well, the anti microbe stuff kills exactly what you want in your tank. The microbes in the sand and water column. Not sure if it would be poisonous to coral or fish but the beneficial bacteria would be harmed

ok, so it does leach out into the water, and not just keep things from growing on the silicone then... hmm, good to know..

i was at the local hole in the wall pet shop in my home town, and i just happen to spot the silicone specifically for fish tanks, and not feeling like going searching, i just paid the exorbident price, and walked out the door, just wasnt worth risking it at that time(that was back within like a week or so of getting my tank)

Back