sump construction question

meatwad0601

a.k.a. Don Jeremeat
im reconstructing an old aquarium into a sump and im running into an issue. i took apart an old bow front tank to make a sump, im tossing the bowed front glass and bottom. im fixing to buy two pieces of glass to replace the front and back to make it square again and i need to know does the bottom fit inside the sides or do the sides sit on top of the bottom. when i took it apart i forgot to see where it was placed. and also will it be strong enough without the trim or should make a bottom plate out of wood to support. i had thought about taking some hardwood planks and joining them together and routing out where the tank is gonna fit. some advice would be really appreciated thx.

I would think the bottom is THE bottom.
If the tank originally had a frame and cross brace, I would replace it. How big is this tank? After it's all said and done, it may be cheaper and safer just to buy a new tank.

The idea of using some tight fitting hardwood planks to serve as a top and bottom would be a great idea. That would add alot of stability to it.

You're gonna spend more money on fixing it and 2 pieces of glass than you would on just buying a used aquarium....Not to mention the sleepless nights and the worrying days wondering if it broke while you were sleeping or at work.

Good point PRC. Especially when a 55gal tank is going for 40 bucks on craigslist. Why cant I find a 200gal tank for 40 bucks is beyond me though

There are certain things you don't DIY. I think this is one of them. Used tanks are not that expensive or hard to get your hands on

its a 46 gal bow front which will be like a 32 gal when done. if the glass is clean and i put a good bead when i put it together, i dont see the problem. its the same thing they do when they build it originally. im just buying two pieces of glass which will run me 30 bucks. and thats cut drilled and polished edges. i might be able to get the guys from the glass place to put it together for me cause i might help the guy over there with something he needs so i think im getting a pretty good deal i think.

Just seems like a helluva lot of work for a 30g tank...Guarantee you can find a 30g tank on Craigslist for $10 or free.

i didnt mean to be rude im sorry, i do appreciate the advice. another reason why i had wanted to redo the tank is cause the dimensions when it will be done will be perfect to fit under my stand.ive been on craigslist off and on for a while and nothing in my area.

i didnt mean to be rude im sorry, i do appreciate the advice. another reason why i had wanted to redo the tank is cause the dimensions when it will be done will be perfect to fit under my stand.ive been on craigslist off and on for a while and nothing in my area.

I didn't interpret your response as rudeness so don't worry about it. I'm just more nervous about my tank than most people I suppose, and I know that I COULD NOT silicone the sides of a tank together and feel comfortable about it holding. I'm just not that much of a DIY'er. Good luck to ya.

im pretty good with a silicone gun, kind of ninja like with it.lol while i was at the glass shop i had talked to one of the guys for like an hour on techniques for makeing good corner joints. its actually pretty easy. once i put all the baffels it will be that much stronger. im going through a sump right now that i made out of a rubbermaid container and im more worried about that cause i came home to water all over my floor last night from a split dowm the middle of it.

Back