Sump design.

I found a skimmer with a smaller foot print so I want to make the skimmer area smaller. The problem is that the input pipe is 14" from the side of the tank and there's a piece glued on to the end which prevents me from adding any more piping. Is there some way to get the piece off?

Is it PVC? If so, use a hacksaw or a pipe cutter.

The thing is, it's connected to a valve piece so if I were to cut anything I would mess it up. That's another thing, isn't the valve usually to control the flow going out of the sump? The guy I bought the tank from put the valve on the input pipe.

So now I have some extra room due to the smaller skimmer. So I was wondering which is better, a 10" fuge and a 12" return section, or a 12" fuge and a 10" return section? I guess I can have the smaller return section if I have an ATO?

Alright, I have a problem. The fuge is going to be in the middle of the sump and there's going to be the light sitting on a piece of egg crate above it. The thing is, where egg crate has to go is where that plastic piece that goes across the middle is. So I was wondering if I could remove it or if that would affect the integrity?

Hmm, I fixed the problem by putting another piece of egg crate on the other side and put the light in the middle over the plastic thing. And it was working before the thing started to melt. :shock:

Please, I really need to know if I can remove it.

So I've discovered that to get the skimmer or anything else in the sump I have to take it out. This is because it's 2' tall and the stand is 30". I have a 30 gallon long laying around which would fit a lot better. The problem is that it cuts down on the water volume by about 25 gallons. And the stand would also a lot more empty so I really would need to cover up the open stand (think I'll go with a curtain). But I can't be taking the sump out every time I want to add something. I'll also have a 65 layin' around. :roll:

So should I use the 30 as a sump? :question:

Back