sump foam/bubbles

PufferGuy

Reefing newb
I looked in my sump today and theres like foam or i dont know how else to explain it in there... i checked my water parameters and ammonia, nitrite, nitrate are all 0. Last addition to the sump/tank was just adding some chaeto to the sump that i got on ebay. Anyone know what this is or why this is going on?? Theres a pic below.

9434_1131105326756_1500930697_30787196_5610026_n.jpg

Did you use a new tap water conditioner today, or add other chemicals? Sometimes my water conditioner creates a lot of foam that builds up and makes my skimmer go crazy.

i have a HOB skimmer im using, but when i looked in there i did notice it wasnt making bubbles into the collection cup.. i dont see how that can happen though..

also, my water looks a little "milky" or translucent

It could be that the seal on your pump is leaking and it is spitting bubbles out of the leak.

Might need to look into that. I had a maxi jet 1200 that leaked like that, I had to take it off and seal it with silicone.

With using a HOB skimmer,if its not producing bubble in the chamber,then its probably alright.
The foam could be coming from the cheato producing oxygen.At least thats my guess.

well i stirred up the cheato in the fuge a little and it seems to have helped a little... but what causes water to have a milk-ish look? its not too bad and all the fish/corals/inverts are all doing fine but i just wanna prevent it if its gonna be a problem.

i got some caulerpa a while ago but it died off im assuming because my light wasnt strong enough, so i got a bag of cheato which is doing pretty well in my fuge now

Could there have been any caulerpa left?
Usually,when caulerpa goes asexual,it'll give the water a milky look.

yea dead clurpa will milk up the water... and if there is enough of it, i have heard of it killing other things in the tank

yea, if your not gonna keep the calurpa super lit 24x7 then i'd get all i could out by hand and then i'd be doing as many water changes as i dared...

Back