sump/fuge help

kyle rittenhouse

Reefing newb
I am restarting my 29 gallon reef. It has been overtaken by nucence algea due to bad filtration. Im going to put in a sump. Here are my plans. I want to have two 10 gallon tanks next to each other. The water will be fed in to one Tank with my skimmer. Then i want to have it be pumped over to the other tank deticated to my fuge. Then pumped back up to the display. Is this a little risky with the 2 pumps or do you think it will work? Thanks.

It is risky with multiple pumps. Why not drill the two tanks and connect them with plumping?
I was thinking about that but if i used bulk heads i would have to put them in the oposite way for them yo fit. I was also thinking about elevatimg the other tank and drilling it then the line drop down into the other tank but i dont have much room to work with so i would have to put my fuge before the skimmer. would that be fine?

I would make the fuge into your sump. I tried a simple approach with mine and it works great. I have over flow going into chamber one which contains my heater and skimmer. Bubble trap triple baffle then my fuge area. I chose to use minimal sand and I have about 15 pounds of or rubble and Cheato. Then baffle for the return. All the same size.

You could put a y pipe on the drain line and feed the sump/ skimmer with one and the fudge with the other, raise the fudge above the sump and gravity feed to the return pump from the sump. And with a couple ball valves to control the flow rate because you want a slower flow through the fudge.

Ok so have the drain split into both tanks then have the fuge tank drain back into the other one. That sounds like a plan. What size should i make the bulk head? The smallest glass bit i have is 1 1/4 and the biggest i have will fit a 1 inch bulkhead.

To answer your question kbuser92 im trying to add as much sump room as i can since i cant fit anything bigger than a 10 gallon tank im going to try 2 of them side by side one with my skimmer and other filtration. And the other dedicated to my refugium.

I would make the fuge into your sump. I tried a simple approach with mine and it works great. I have over flow going into chamber one which contains my heater and skimmer. Bubble trap triple baffle then my fuge area. I chose to use minimal sand and I have about 15 pounds of or rubble and Cheato. Then baffle for the return. All the same size.
I would do this but then i have no place for my skimmer

http://pureaquariums.com/plumbing-flow-rates/

I would say 1 1/4" and y-pipe to 1".

I was talking about @Aquarian's auto-spell.
My drain is already 1 inch but the drain from the fuge to the skimmer tank is what i meant. Im going to have one baffle no bubble trap in the fuge so the drain is just going to run right into it. Then over the baffle(not a bubble trap) then get drained through the right side of the tank down to the other. I just dont know what size bulk head and where to place it ( high or low).

This is sort of the idea

Attachments

• CAM00435.jpg
    CAM00435.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 276
I have 2 10 gallon tanks connected as my fuge using U-tubes. Its very risky, but I have not encountered problems from it yet (it has been setup like this for over 2 years) Just make sure that there are no air bubbles trapped inside of the tubes.

Personally I'd use U tubes to get the water from one to the other. Using a pump to pump to a pump is never a good idea. Sooner or later one is going to fail and you have one hell of a mess, been there, done that. Also, keep at least .25" between the tanks, if you have any sort of settling and the tanks exert pressure on each other you're going to have a tank break. Also, been there, done that. I had one tank in the shop keep breaking and finally had to drain the row and separate the damn things a little bit. NOT a fun thing to do when you have 20 tanks in the row and they're all full of plants!! :mad:

What happens if the syphen breaks? I dont want to risk the u tubes i would think it would be about the same as using another pump. I think ill just gravity feed it through the bulk head.

Back