Sump / Fuge question

Doc

I don't work for anybody
OK you smart people, help a newbie out. OK, well I am not a super newbie, but as far as refugiums go, I am. I have been toying with the idea of putting in a chamber in my sump for a fuge. I imagine it will help with the nitrates created by big fish, but here is a question, does it do anything for phosphates?

More importantly, baffles. I have seen plans for baffles that are flush against the bottom of the sump and I have seen them with slits in the baffles and some with spaces at the bottom of the sump between the floor and baffles. which is the most effective set up? I am thinking four chambers for my 125: 1st chamber) intake from tank, media bags and two protein skimmers (the one I have is rated for 200 gallons and I will get an octopus skimmer rated for 300 gallons). 2nd chamber) the largest chamber, with a DSB and about 250 lbs of live rock for bio filtration (I am planning on keeping about 200 lbs in the DT, stacked in the corner, filled with soft corals and places for the angelfish to hide). 3rd chamber) fuge - is 8 inches wide big enough for a decent fuge - 18 inches deep? 4th chamber) carbon, phosguard, heaters and return pump back to tank. what do you think?

I was planning on just a desk lamp style light for the fuge, connected to the timers of the other lights for the tank. Will that be enough light to grow the cheato?

Again...Baffles? Best way to plan it? Thanks in advance.

-Doc

Last edited:
OK you smart people, help a newbie out. OK, well I am not a super newbie, but as far as refugiums go, I am. I have been toying with the idea of putting in a chamber in my sump for a fuge. I imagine it will help with the nitrates created by big fish, but here is a question, does it do anything for phosphates? no it won't help control PO4

More importantly, baffles. I have seen plans for baffles that are flush against the bottom of the sump and I have seen them with slits in the baffles and some with spaces at the bottom of the sump between the floor and baffles. which is the most effective set up? I am thinking four chambers for my 125: 1st chamber) intake from tank, media bags and two protein skimmers (the one I have is rated for 200 gallons and I will get an octopus skimmer rated for 300 gallons). 2nd chamber) the largest chamber, with a DSB and about 250 lbs of live rock for bio filtration (I am planning on keeping about 200 lbs in the DT, stacked in the corner, filled with soft corals and places for the angelfish to hide). 3rd chamber) fuge - is 8 inches wide big enough for a decent fuge - 18 inches deep? 4th chamber) carbon, phosguard, heaters and return pump back to tank. what do you think?that sounds a good plan to me. the over/under bafles are used to eliminate microbubbles from going into your dispaly tank. I would go for 3 baffles on the last set before your return chamber and the first is on the bottom of the tank and the next is half inch to one inch elevated and another one on the bottom of the tank

I was planning on just a desk lamp style light for the fuge, connected to the timers of the other lights for the tank. Will that be enough light to grow the cheato?

Again...Baffles? Best way to plan it? Thanks in advance.

-Doc

HTH. Good Luck!

That's going to be one big sump. Just make sure you measure before placing any baffles in place. I can't wait to see it and go, AWE!

That's going to be one big sump. Just make sure you measure before placing any baffles in place. I can't wait to see it and go, AWE!

Piggy,

I am SO excited about the prospect of my new tank that I lie awake at night just smiling! I am thinking my sump will look pretty darn cool.

-Doc

Doc can I ask why you are going to separate the sections for the live rock and he DSB? More for my own knowledge and to see what the thought process is.

I must have mis-typed that section. I meant to say the DBS and LR would be in the same section, separated from the skimmer, heaters, etc. I will do a 4 inch bed and stuff the rock on top of it

-Doc

Non reef stuff mantis or any other things that will be eaten by your shark, any animals or just macro.

No mantis shrimp. I was thinking of putting in a chocolate chip starfish and a red general starfish in the sump with the LR so the kids can have something to play with that is not the shark

-Doc

Sounds like a plan you could almost set up another display tank lower than the main with a sump/fuge that sized maybe not flush to stand walls but recessed with the first and third portions of it hiden behind door panels.

actually, that might look really cool!!! above the compartment with the fuge, maybe

-Doc

No mantis shrimp. I was thinking of putting in a chocolate chip starfish and a red general starfish in the sump with the LR so the kids can have something to play with that is not the shark

-Doc

That is such a good idea getting the kids involved. I've always wanted one of the chocalate chip stars.
Do you got the plans on paper yet? I wanna see.

That is such a good idea getting the kids involved. I've always wanted one of the chocalate chip stars.
Do you got the plans on paper yet? I wanna see.

Just in my head. I am more concerned about the stand first and how the hell I am going to manage my current livestock during the change over period. I have to get new carpet in the room where it tank is and where the new one will be. I may have to drop off the livestock to my friend's fish store, but I don't want to waste all the mature water either. That water is what is the most valuable IMHO. Cured rock and sand with all new water means a new cycle and I am not interested in losing my angels or Sohal tang

-Doc

That was my plan with my DIY stand but my sump isnt going to be big enough to make the impact that I wanted and I didnt realize the temperature difference that seahorse and leafy dragons<cost is outrageous>live at. So ill let you do it Doc.

hmmmm, sea horses in my sump? not a bad idea!!! As for the leafy ones, they are something like $12,000 around here

-Doc

I just can't see you laboring Doc.I do actually believe algae could control phosphates.If phosphate feeds algae blooms then they must consume it in some way,right?Good luck on the new system,of course I need to see it to believe it.My back is hurting just thinking about you cutting and glueing and lifting.

hmmmm, sea horses in my sump? not a bad idea!!! As for the leafy ones, they are something like $12,000 around here

-Doc

Yeah that was my idea until I did a little deeper research into it, seahorses need like a max of 72-74 degrees and the dragons need it even colder, and I had no idea they were that expensive. Here a link to a thread I started on another place. This guy Matt is a "seahorse guru" and told me pretty overtly that its not a good idea at all.

Saltwater Noob with Pony Question - Reef Sanctuary

MODS SORRY TO LINK OUT IF THERE IS A PROBLEM PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

I never had any real plans for sea horses. I know how hard they can be to keep alive. Just not big enough or impressive enough for me

-Doc

I just can't see you laboring Doc.I do actually believe algae could control phosphates.If phosphate feeds algae blooms then they must consume it in some way,right?Good luck on the new system,of course I need to see it to believe it.My back is hurting just thinking about you cutting and glueing and lifting.

Gee, thanks for your lack of confidence in me (loser :bounce:). I am capable if I need to be. I just like to spend my time relaxing rather than sweating over something someone else could do. In this case though, I don't trust anyone else to make it work. My Gov't check (I sound like I am on welfare now, HA!) should be here mid summer and I am planning on building the stand sometime in May, for a June / July project with the tank. I am still waiting on the numbers from the manufacturer for the tank. If it comes out WAY over what I am expecting ($800-$1000), then I will settle for a 220, lose the plans for a blue-faced angel and still get the shark. My sump will still put my whole set up well over 300 gallons and beat out Biff, which is my real goal <snicker>.

Don't worry old friend, when I start the build thread, you will have all the proof you need. I will even include a few pics of the carpet installer's butt crack just for fun!

-Doc

Back