Sump Idea ----is this good or bad???

If I get rid of my Marineland 360 canister and my CPR bakpak and switch to a.......
currently have a 75gal mini-reef with 5 fish (2 clarkii, yellowhead goby, fishers angel, firefish)

Megaflow Sump filter model 3
Eshopps in-sump protein skimmer PSK-100 (rated 75-100 gal)
Quiet one pump 3000 (780 gph)
Eshopps overflow box PF-800

how does this set-up sound? $518.95 shipped from Dr. F&S

or...should I just abandon the canister and stick with just the CPR bakpak and the Koralia #4's I have in the tank?

Just my opinion,

If you're not into making your own sump, you can get a nicely pre-built refugium sump from here : http://www.aquacave.com/refugium-20-by-aquaticbr-design-habitats-1048.html

Also, get yourself a nicer skimmer for the system, like this one :http://www.aquacave.com/reef-octopus-nw-110-br-needle-wheel-protein-br-skimmer-750.html

Also, the overflow boxes by CPR are highly recommended : http://www.aquacave.com/detail.aspx?ID=76

The mag drives for return pumps are the ones most people use too. They have replaceable guts so you can repair them down the line if needed : http://www.aquacave.com/mag-drive-7-water-pump-30.html

Since you are investing anyway, I would highly recommend the refugium sump route....and it won't cost you much more than what you are looking at now!

Good Luck!

Skip the wet/dry and go with a sump/refugium(like Messiah said).I've never heard any reviews on the Eshoppe skimmers good or bad.The design doesn't seem much different than the non-recirculating Octopus needlewheel skimmers.If you choose that brand of skimmer,go with one rated twice your system gallonage.Perhaps,the 150/200 model might be a better choice.

messiah....thank you very much!!!! That sump was exactly what I was looking for. I wanted to have it as a refugium also and I figured I would have done that with the mega flow, but I really do like the design of the one that you showed me...thanks again.

And Reefreak....thanks for the advice on the skimmer too. I think I have seen you post about the octopus several times so I will probably go that route like you suggest.

The only problem with that sump is that the skimmer section is only 6" x 11.5". Which skimmers would fit that small of a compartment?

Good advice so far. Whatever skimmer you decide to go with make sure that is fits in that first compartment. They say the first compartment is 6 x 11.5". That is pretty small and you must make sure the footprint of the skimmer will fit in there. Octo skimmers are great. I run one myself. I use the recirculating type and it does a great job. The CPR products also come highly recommended. Many people use the aqualifter pump and filter with there overflow. Good luck and post some picts of what you decide on.

The sump/refugium is a simple DIY that anyone can do. Buy a 20 long for about $35. Go to HD or Lowes and have them cut 3-4 pieces of plexiglas. Buy a tube of GE Silicone I for Doors/Windows. All you have to do is silicone the plexi and you can make the compartments any size you want. Cost would probably be around $50-$60 and you have the same as the $279 premade model.

I also like the Eshopps overflow boxes over the CPR style (which recommend the use of an extra pump). I used a U-tube style overflow for over 15 yrs and it never failed once.

all of you folks give wonderful advice. Capt I do recall reading that you have used the eshopps for years. I will probably go with the other brand because it comes so highly recommended. I weighed the options of a DIY sump and that sounds good, but I will probably purchase the premade one anyway. I will have to get a smaller skimmer to fit in the sump and if it isn't enough then I still have my CPR Bakpak that works. I'm new to the whole sump idea and I should have taken Biffs advice long ago and ditched the cannister and utilize only my skimmer along with my 140 lbs of LR and 3in of sand.

Once I get the feel of the sump/refugium filtration then I will upgrade my tank to a bigger one in my next house ( few years from now) and then I will probably build my own sump. A good skimmer is the priciest component for this hobby ( othercthsn the tank).

Thanks for all of the great tips.

i just made a 20 gallon long sump cost about 50 bucks to buy tank and stuff to do it. I only put 2 baffles in to make 3 compartments first one is 11.5" x 10" which will hold good size skimmer for my 75 gallon tank, second is 13" for refugium and last is 7" for mag 9 for return. went hardware store bought silicone and 2 quarter inch thick pieces of plexi glass 7 inches tall and not its ready to go. Now i'm just got the lazies real bad and not ready to switch my old sump out to put this new one in.

IM001189.JPG

I dont know why the 1st compartment is so small on some of these premade sumps, you would think that they would make it larger to accomodate a bigger and better skimmer.

Wow D.French...that looks really awesome. I really like that. Were you able to just slide that sump under the tank from the front of the cabinet or did you have to move your tank away from the wall and put the sump in through the back side of the stand? The reason why I ask is becuase my 75gal is completely stocked and full and there is no way that I will be able to move my tank. The stand that I have has the same size openings in the front and the back.

Last edited:
i took tank down cause old stand had water damage and needed new stand so i too part of stand apart and put tank in there. 20 gallon long will fit just fine in my 75 gallon stand rather of had something a little taller like 16 inches but 20 gallon long will have to do. another place that will make a sump to whatever size you want and put baffles to were you want them is glasscages.com or you could buy the tank cheap from them and make one. they won't ship glass aquariums you have to meet them at a drop off place, but acrylic tanks they will ship.

some places that make sumps and have small compartments on sides and big in middle is so that you can put skimmer in only and other for filter socks and pump return.

just don't make baffles to big cause most skimmers operate best in 6- 8 inches of water so i did mine at 7 inches.

oh yeah bookmark bulkreefsupply cause that is best place to get all your ro/di filters cheap, and great grade carbon and gfo also. they make a real nice media reactor also.

Back