Sump issues

camps23

Reefing newb
So as I read more and more I'm trying to make sure I purchase all the right gear off the bat, so I don't have any road blocks down the road. I like the idea of the overflow and sump. The only issue I can see is what if your out of town and there is a power failure and the sump doesn't come on won't you flood the place ?

You set your intake and return lines at a level where when they drain back into the sump, it doesnt overflow. Most people drill a hole in thier lock-line return to allow air in to break the siphon. You also leave room in your sump for extra water-several inches-to allow the water level to equalize, and not flood. Its easier than it sounds, and its scary, I watched mine all night the first night. You unplug your return pump to "test" the system, and watch the water level. Its a balancing act, but easy. Dont sweat it, people here can help you.

Thanks SeaBee
So the benefits outway the negatives.
Is it more for the advanced hobbyist or can be done by a newbie with technical background.

Anyone can do it. Just drill a little hole in your overflow tube, right below the water line. Pull the cord on your return pump and see if you drilled the hole in the right spot.

Back