Sump macroalgae

I666NoB666I

Reefing newb
How/where in my sump do i put macro algae? Rubber band it to the rock is what I see all the time? (will the rubber band decay?) Just let it float?

I got some free from reefs to go that i wasnt aware of... haha Should I even use it?

Do you have a refugium section in your sump? You should put it in there.

What type of algae is it exactly?

Most people put chaeto in their sump to help copepods thrive so they can be shot back into the tank. Yes you can put it on a rock, when I use to feed my tangs with some algae I would put it on the rock because they would tear it off the clip or not touch it on the clip. A rubber band will work just fine

Youll need a light to grow the cheato. A low powered 60w house hold bulb is fine. Remember to continue to prune the cheato to keep levels constant. Cheato as well as other microalgae pull nitrates and phosphates, but...... they also pull cal. and mag. out too. Be sure to watch levels.

It helps to run lights opposite of dt. to maintain ph level and cheato needs light off too to release build up co2 that is produced during its "day" lighting.

Please dont think a copepod of amphipod can make it past your pump to return to your dt. Its like sticking your hand into a blender and thinking youll be fine! If they even choose to move towards the pump, they will not survive the ride.

I had a ball of chaeto in a washed blueberry container from the store. it would just float around the sump and when it got too packed I would pull it out and trim it up. I've used rubberbands in the tank with no problems.

Back