sump or no sump?

reefkpr55

Reefing newb
I have a 29 gallon tank fowler for now, I'm going to do corals later. Is it worth doing a sump ref if i can only fit a 10 gallon tank below it?

Yeah, I think a 10 gallon sump/fuge for a 29 is a pretty decent addition. The only thing is you'd have to add an overflow box (if the 29 is not drilled) and those can take up a lot of space in a tank.

I say it's definietly worth it especially if you have a protein skimmer. Being able to put your heater and protein skimmer in your sump and take them out of your display frees up a lot of space and looks much better. Also if you put a big enough return pump and some loc-line you can even ditch your power head if you get the flow right.

I definitely recommend using the pvc overflow as well because they're cheap, easy to make and actually take up less space than your average overflow box will. I used one in my old 20 g setup and it worked great!

I don't know anything about the pvc overflow but a good overflow is esstential for something like this.

I have a 29g tank as well and would love to be able to run it with a sump. Unfortunately, I just don't have the room for one nor do I have the funds to really do it right. :-(

Back