Sump plumbing

I have used just your basic pvc glue from the hard ware store no ill effects. Just make sure you run water through the pipes for a while to get any fumes out of the pipe before you hook them up to the tank. theese could be dangerous but once they are disipated, the glue shouldnt cause any problems

Brian

I agree with Brian on the glue,Let it set and cure for a couple of days so the fumes dissipate.
Use 45s any where you can instead of 90s unless you can use long radious 90s.The sharper the turn in the water flow the more head pressure its going to build up.
Be sure to install a check valve in your return line too.That way if something happens that the pump stops you wont have worry about a back siphon.

I also used regular PVC primer and glue with no ill effects. Whether you use 90 degree or 45 degree angles, you want to minimize the amount of corners. You may also want to look into vinyl tubing which fits the PVC.

Put the pipe and fittings together and make a mark so you know when the marks are lined up the pipe and fittings are as you want them. Then Primer the pipe and the fitting. once set apply gue on the male end only and insert into the fitting with a quarter turn which will wipe the glue for a good seal. quarter turn as you are inserting the pipe and it will bottom out. Make sure you have a rag handy to wipe any excess until you get the hang of it. hope this helps. of course for what you are doing you could use redhot for pvc pipe. one step process no primer needed. good luck.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I picked up everything today and went with 90's, I dont quite have the room for 45's. I think with the mag 24 I should be ok. Hopefully get it done Sunday

Another thing to consider is the PVC primer. this will soften up the pvc and allow for a tighter connection. also be sure to drill in siphon breaks in your return lines just below the surface of the water. this is an alternative to the check valves which are notorious for failing. I've not had issues with the pvc cement as far as toxicity goes and have never waited more than an hour to run water from the tank through the pipes.

Back