sump project

AdamSQN

Reefing newb
Hi i need help i just got 55 gal aquarium which i want to use as a sump i make some design and i don`t know which will be good i have 110 gal aquarium for now fish only but i want to move slowly to reef this is my design
untitled_zpsec233e24.jpg
untitled3_zps6a490343.jpg
untitled2_zps6af8b482.jpg

use rock or rock rubble instead of bioballs as for as the sand i think you would need at least five inchs your off to a great start you can tweak it as you go mine is about the same only my skimmer is in the first section and my heaters is in with the cheato

pic three. Rubble instead of balls and I would use live rock and cheato no sand in fuge...DSB are something I just know I would end up disturbing and killing my tank with. Not worth the risk imo....

I did a grip of research on refugiums when i made my sump and i decided to put my return in the middle and my refugium at one of the other sides. the reason i did this is that everything i was reading states that refugium should get under 300gl of flow to be more effective at removing waste like nitrates and phosfates. sa currently my refugium gets about 180 to 200 gl of flow while my sump and skimmer side get about 350 to 400 gl flow rate per hour.

I think it depends on what you have in the fuge. I have LR and cheato. Cheato needs flow..if you go with a DSB and shaving brushes or Calipera. the return in the middle would be best.

I think it depends on what you have in the fuge. I have LR and cheato. Cheato needs flow..if you go with a DSB and shaving brushes or Calipera. the return in the middle would be best.

Yeah i also have chaeto, with Live rock, and i read its still best for it to have low flow thru the section but it is true that cheato like high flow, i just added a little power head in that chamber to move my chaeto around a bit and mines doing great so far.

looks really good.

I would move the monitors to the far right or far left ( you dont want your temp probe right next to the heater )

I use Bio balls and i have no problems. at all... but i do use a mix of 60% bio balls and 40% Live rock Rubble. I have been using Bio balls for 5 years and never had a problem. as long as you have a filter sock on before the Bio Balls that will take care of any "left over food" problem.

All and All i will give you 10 out of 10 for the design i think it will work Vary well!

The only thing that i would add to your design is have egg crate holding the bio balls 1" above the bottom. and add a 45* angle to the left side of the baffel so that if or when your filter sock dos get full/cloged that any and all debre will slide over to the right side so it is an easy clean and you dont have to take the Bio Balls out of the water and have a mini cycle agean.

Thanks when i finish with sump i will add pictures also im working on UV light for the old just broked so i decide to do by self :)

Back