Sump Pump Advice, 2300gph too much for sump?

Greasy Joe Bick

Reefing newb
Hi guys and gals,

I have started building a new 125 gallon. I have been told, in my tank showcase thread, that 1250 turnover in the sump is adequate.

I have the option to purchase a Reeflo 2300 gph for the same price of a new Mag Drive at 1300 gph. I will be using a 30 gallon long for my sump tank. Plumbing will be a triple standpipe, BeanAnimal's design.

Would the 2300 gph be overkill for my sump? I'd love to get a Reeflo, I hear wonderful things about them. Yet I'm nervous that It will be too much flow from my sump.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
I am wondering if that sump will be able to keep up with the pump. My fear is that you will have to dial that pump down considerably so that the sump does not run dry on you. Is there any way you can go bigger on your sump?

I am wondering if that sump will be able to keep up with the pump. My fear is that you will have to dial that pump down considerably so that the sump does not run dry on you. Is there any way you can go bigger on your sump?

I could go return the 30 for a bigger one, just bought it yesterday. How big would you suggest?

Last edited:
If it was me, at least a 55. Remember that the total gallons of your sump will not be used, so in a 30, you'd be looking at about 15 gallons of water in it. Get the biggest you can afford, and fit. Place your baffels, and get it placed.

If it was me, at least a 55. Remember that the total gallons of your sump will not be used, so in a 30, you'd be looking at about 15 gallons of water in it. Get the biggest you can afford, and fit. Place your baffels, and get it placed.

Gotcha. Off to see what else is out there.

I thought I could pull it off like it did with my 55. 10 Gallon tank underneath at 571 gph. But you are right, If I would double my gph output, (Like planned on the 125), the 5 gallons of sitting water in the 10 gallon sump wouldn't have a chance.

Hopefully, I'll find one that will fit in my stand.

Update

I returned my 30 gallon long. Upon returning, LFS employee advised me to not buy a glass aquarium, for a sump, when using an external pump. The chances of the glass breaking, near the huge hole drilled for the intake, while doing basic cleaning, are far to great.

I totally agreed, but was not gonna buy a 300$, bioballs sump.

So I built my own. Went to home depot, bought 3, 48"x 24", 0.25" thick acrylic panels and used 2, 24" x 18", 0.25" panels that I had sitting around at home. With a little cutting and some Weld-on 4, this is my new, 45 gallon, 48" x 14" x 16", acrylic sump tank.

19573194-8c1c-4d5e-9d0b-5f1fc8a42920.jpg

I still have to silicone the cracks and add an over under over, but that will be easy, compared to welding it all together. Thanks for the advice.

Last edited:
Back