Sump Pump Advice, 2300gph too much for sump?

Discussion in 'Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment' started by Greasy Joe Bick, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Greasy Joe Bick

Greasy Joe Bick

Hi guys and gals,

I have started building a new 125 gallon. I have been told, in my tank showcase thread, that 1250 turnover in the sump is adequate.

I have the option to purchase a Reeflo 2300 gph for the same price of a new Mag Drive at 1300 gph. I will be using a 30 gallon long for my sump tank. Plumbing will be a triple standpipe, BeanAnimal's design.

Would the 2300 gph be overkill for my sump? I'd love to get a Reeflo, I hear wonderful things about them. Yet I'm nervous that It will be too much flow from my sump.

Any suggestions?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
    Greasy Joe Bick, Oct 19, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. Greasy Joe Bick

fastrd400 It wasn't me! Moderator

I am wondering if that sump will be able to keep up with the pump. My fear is that you will have to dial that pump down considerably so that the sump does not run dry on you. Is there any way you can go bigger on your sump?

fastrd400, Oct 19, 2011
    Greasy Joe Bick likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. Greasy Joe Bick

Greasy Joe Bick

I could go return the 30 for a bigger one, just bought it yesterday. How big would you suggest?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  4. Greasy Joe Bick

If it was me, at least a 55. Remember that the total gallons of your sump will not be used, so in a 30, you'd be looking at about 15 gallons of water in it. Get the biggest you can afford, and fit. Place your baffels, and get it placed.

fastrd400, Oct 19, 2011
  5. Greasy Joe Bick

Greasy Joe Bick

Gotcha. Off to see what else is out there.

I thought I could pull it off like it did with my 55. 10 Gallon tank underneath at 571 gph. But you are right, If I would double my gph output, (Like planned on the 125), the 5 gallons of sitting water in the 10 gallon sump wouldn't have a chance.

Hopefully, I'll find one that will fit in my stand.

6. Greasy Joe Bick

Make sure it gives you enough room length wise as well as height wise. It would suck getting one too tall as well.

fastrd400, Oct 19, 2011
  7. Greasy Joe Bick

Greasy Joe Bick

Update

I returned my 30 gallon long. Upon returning, LFS employee advised me to not buy a glass aquarium, for a sump, when using an external pump. The chances of the glass breaking, near the huge hole drilled for the intake, while doing basic cleaning, are far to great.

I totally agreed, but was not gonna buy a 300$, bioballs sump.

So I built my own. Went to home depot, bought 3, 48"x 24", 0.25" thick acrylic panels and used 2, 24" x 18", 0.25" panels that I had sitting around at home. With a little cutting and some Weld-on 4, this is my new, 45 gallon, 48" x 14" x 16", acrylic sump tank.

[​IMG]

I still have to silicone the cracks and add an over under over, but that will be easy, compared to welding it all together. Thanks for the advice.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2011
    Greasy Joe Bick, Oct 22, 2011
  8. Greasy Joe Bick

Smitty

You've done a good job on that sump.

Smitty, Jan 22, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question