sump pump

kyle

Reefing newb
ok im getting a 100g tank and i plan on puting a sump on it and i need help with the plumming and the pumps i was planning on 2 1000 gph. 1 to suck the water from the DT and 1 to blow water to the DT. i heard the pump have to be 10x the size of the tank??? oh the sump is going to be 50g

1 to suck the water from the DT and 1 to blow water to the DT. i heard the pump have to be 10x the size of the tank??? oh the sump is going to be 50g

Not sure if I'm not understanding your post right. But you don't need a pump to "suck" water from the DT. Gravity will take care of that.

yea but i reather play it safe and have a pump it more controld if ya know wat i mean. i heard u you dont really need one but i think it also mite make it easer in the long run

you may run into big problems doing that. is your tank drilled? you will not have very much controll over that if you have two of the same pumps one lets say the one in the tank will be pummping near the thousand gallons and the pump in the sump will only be pumping 5 or 6 hundred not a good difference there. and even if you loose power the pump in the tank will still siphon the water out and will have no way of being pumped back to the tank.

Pumping water from the display tank is not going to be necessary, as mentioned above gravity will do the work for you. If the tank has a built in overflow then the water will spill over the overflow as the pump from the sump pushes the water out of the sump and into the tank. Eheim makes a good submersible pump, the 1260 would fit your need very well as its around 650-700 gph.

Ok, well I'll stay outta this then because with all my newbness I'm missing something.

I'm currently working on setting up a tank and I'll be using 2 pumps 1 to pump water from sump back to the DT and another pump for a closed-loop system.

I'll sit back and see what the great minds have to say about your set-up

Are you looking for a submersible pump or an external. Also 100 gal does not seem to be a standard size for a tank. Have you already located that tank somewhere?

Last edited:
ok im so confused. my tank is not drilled i have know clue what an overflow is and do i have to have "overflows". i dont reall understand the pump thingy should i have a small pump in the DT and a bigger 1 in the sump for a return???

do i need an overflow i still dont know wat is, how it works i dont wanna spend money on crap if i dont need it. i wanna keepit simple and i think i can do it with out one

i think if i put my tubing/PVC just below the waterline like im talkin like 2cm i dont think i will have a proablem with m sump over filling and im goin to put a valve on so when i turn the pumps ove the water is being siphond in to the sump. like i said i wanna tr and keep this simple

There are people out there that make there own overflows to save $. You need some kind of way to get water from DT to sump and most people like to use an overflow so they can get water from the top portion of DT for skimmage

There are basically two possible tank setups. The first tank does not have a small tank that contains its equipment and such, so all the equipment to filter the tank must be contained in the display. This type of tank is referred to as being "not drilled" because it doesn't have holes drilled into the bottom for water to travel to the sump. The second kind is a drilled tank that does have holes drilled in the bottom and an overflow. An overflow is a rectangular box that is 6" wide and 6" deep and as tall as the tank. The overflow is in the tank and has slits in the top of the overflow to allow water to flow over the top. The water that flows over the top of the overflow is then piped back to the sump, where it will be returned to the display by a pump. If you were to shut the pump that is in the sump off the water would stop going to the display and the water would not overflow into the overflow. Hopefully this is making some sense.

The main advantage in a drilled tank is that the equipment can be located in the tank below the display and out of sight. The sump also allows for an in-sump skimmer to be used which tend to be much better than HOB skimmers.

You need some kind of way to get water from DT to sump and most people like to use an overflow so they can get water from the top portion of DT for skimmage
i cant use a pump and have the return PVC just above the water to put the surface scum back in to the water

Kyle, the biggest problem with turning a tank that isn't drilled into a tank with a sump is in the overflow. A drilled tank's overflow is going to allow water to return to the sump using gravity, while a undrilled tank is going to have to return water to the sump by siphon. Now, if the siphon is broken for any reason, then you a pump in the sump that is returning water to the display, but the water that is going to the display is not being returned to the sump. Within a minute the tank is going to overflow and the water in the sump will be put into the display. There are ways that a siphon can be restored automatically if broken, but that usually means more money.

try this one

Attachments

• Untitled-1[1].jpg
    Untitled-1[1].jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 242
Back