sump questions

jayjay

Reefing newb
Im trying to figure out what kind of pump and pipe size I need.
im buying a dual overflow that is rated at 600gph ea , the bulkheads are standard 1'' . The left side overflow is going down 20'' into a ''T'' the right is running down 26'' and then vertical 42'' into the T. My question is what size pipe do i need from the T ,20'' down into sump and what size return pump would I need.I would like to get max flow for filtration if possible

Use whatever pipe size fits your overflow box. So if your overflow is for 1" PVC, use 1" PVC. Am I understanding your question right???

As for return pump, get one rated at least 10 times the size of your tank. So for a 55 gallon, I would shoot for at least 600 gph, and remember that the distance the water has to travel back up will reduce that number somewhat.

Use whatever pipe size fits your overflow box. So if your overflow is for 1" PVC, use 1" PVC. Am I understanding your question right???

As for return pump, get one rated at least 10 times the size of your tank. So for a 55 gallon, I would shoot for at least 600 gph, and remember that the distance the water has to travel back up will reduce that number somewhat.

I'm no genius but 10 times 55 is 550 not 600, or is that some of that west coast math?

what i mean is if im pulling 600gph out of each overflow would a 1'' line from the point they connect (the T ) be big enough to flow 1200gph? and what kind of pump do i need?

If you have two 1'' drains connecting to one then it needs to be 2'' pipe or bigger.A 1'' drain can only handle 600gph.So two 1'' drain to a 2'' drain....makes sense?

Two overflows rated at 1200gph then a pump rated 1200gph or a little higher would be good.You will lose 300-500gph at 4 or 5 ft. head height so a 1500gph pump would be a better choice.Don't forget a ball valve to adjust the flow on the return end of the pump.

yeah, your 2 1" drains will need to combine into a 2" drain to be able to handle the flow properly. i would go with what FREAK suggested. i always suggest GenX pcx pumps for a return for a 1200gph or more, they are great pumps for the price.

Back