Sump / Refugium Plans !!! What do you think

I think im about to take on a hole nother thing and just make my own with 1/4 inch acrylic. im going for 36 x 13 x 13 or 14 x 14

just make sure you will have enough clearance to clean the skimmer. It looks like your overall height is 19inches. If you are putting in a 14inch tall sump that only give you 5" of max clearance... ( not sure of the max diameter of the skimmer you are using )

Need enough height to empty the collection cup
enough height to swing the skimmer out for cleaning
enough height for the skimmer to run at the proper sump water depth.

just adding some questions/thoughts for you. Mine is really tight, next build I will have much more height.

I run my tank with a glass top, so I have my cooling fan in my sump... works very well, but needs room.

Also, not sure on your stand access, but getting the sump under the stand can be tricky.

-Good Luck

OK so im thinking of going a difrent route and just getting 2 20 long tanks and making the sump and the refugium seprate. what do you guys thing ??

I was thinking 2 20 gallon long, one with the main pipe split to 3/4 for the sump side. It should have a 600 gl flow rate, So i will put in a mag 7 for the return, and the refugium side will have a 1/4 split from the main to the refugium, it should be at 200 gph with i was thinking a mag 2 for a return pump.

What do you guys think ??? Both tanks will have bluble trap sections before the return section. maybe about 6 inch sections for the return, and this will give me more room for a bigger refugium.

Tham i was just thinking about it and it might be a pain to have 2 return pumps because that means im going to have to do some fine tunning with the gate valves. this can be a pain. Hu what do you guys thing ??

Yeah your right maybe i can just drill the 2 tanks and use 2 inch tubes to connect the 2 tanks ??

AHHHHH its so complicated. i think i might just go with my other train of tought and build my own sump from acrylic.

after what you said do i think i might just keep it an no taller than 13 inches.

Yeah i could provably do that but that might add to the noise level with the water draining down into the return chamber, and it can also cause more micro bubbles returning to the DT.

So i decided to go check my messurements again and to make sure what i will be able to actually fit under my stand. Well my hight is actully 21 inches. But from the mock up piece of cardboard i cut out i will not be able to fit a 36 inch tank down there with the turn in radiouse. not even a 30. the longest tank i can fit would be 25 inches.

So heres my Plan.

Im going to make or have made 2 seprate boxes at 22 inches made with 2 holes for 1 inch pipe. i know this is going to be more noisy but i have no choice now.

I will get 4 bulk heads to put these on and i will put unions in the middle of the pipe to be able to take it apart if i ever need to. So the left box will be my refugium with 2 baffles before the pipes to help any slugs or creatures stay out of the tubes and the sump. the second one will be baseckly the same but with lower baffles to alow the water to flow thru and a bigger last section for the return pump.

So yeah. Time for me to start buying stuff now that i know what i need exacly.

Yeah plus i just found some ruber tubing that 1 1/4 inch and its pretty hefty i think i might just use that, to unite the 2 portins with clamps, that way it has more flex and is les likely to crack anything. For now everything seems to be doing good in my tank and im pretty happy. Doing everything slowly to make sure i do it right. i have learned from my mistakes.

Back