Sump return pump help

blando

Reefing newb
Hey guys i am doing a 10 gallon sump tank to my 20 gallon tank. I am trying to figure what to use for return pump and what size and all. the sump is right under the tank inside the stand. If measure from top of my fish tank to the floor its 4ft.

What size is your return line? That is what size your pump needs to be. I think a one inch return can handle 300 gph, but I might be remembering wrong. You can and should IMO put a ball valve on the return side of the pump so you can control the flow. I like quiet one pumps, that is what I use and they are quiet.

what do u use? and not sure what size pipe line this first time im trying to figure it all out ill be buying the over flow and protein skimmer and return pump at once because think thats all i need well glass and live rock and pipe i guess just trying to figure how to set it up..what do u use as a pump like i said its a 10 gallon sump

Just remember that every elbow and unions will also effect your head loss as well. Also the point on return line size that andersoned14 had mentioned will affect your return flow. You might want to think about installing a tee off of your return line back to your sump with a ball valve to help you dial in your flow.

Thats what im trying to figure out is how to do all this stuff. For the pipe and all. Like how do you kno what size to even ise on the pipe and hpw does it fit on return pump? Just hoes right up to it like slide onto the pump?

254a0199.jpg

f118a10c.jpg

e3d81b2d.jpg

8ce28d98.jpg

78132074.jpg

19086735.jpg

02b5d413.jpg

1200 (Mfg# R440102), CD-74781
$29.99
Lifegard Aquatics Quiet One Pro Aquarium Pumps

[SIZE=16px;]Improved aquarium pump design ensures quieter operation[/SIZE]
dot_clear.gif

dot_clear.gif

dot_clear.gif

here are a few pics of what I had on the 29 with a 10 gal sump. Sorry need to leave for work but take a look and I will try and make sense of what these all are. the pump I used was the quiet one 1200. you can find it on drsfostersmith.com. 3/4 overflow pipe I made, I would use 1" if I had to do it again.

here is a flow chart for you
GPM/GPH Flow based on PVC Pipe Size, ie, How much water can flow through Sch 40 Pvc Pipe Size 1/2" 3/4" 1" 1.5" 2" 2.5" 3" 4" 6"

On my 150 I am using 1 1/2 pipe down to tthe sump with 1 inch return moving about 2000gph through it.. My 75 1 inch down to sump and 3/4 return pushing about 800gph.
Any pump you get will have an outlet for the return which will somewhat govern what size pipe you can use.. height back to the tank plus any fittings (elbows tees etc.) will contribute to head loss so make sure you choose a pump that is larger then what you need.. the ball valve after the pump with take care of matching the flow to the overflow.

Now is your 10 gallon tank? How is yours setup. Looking to use liverock and goin to put protein skimer and I guess im going to put ontop of my tank and overflow box.

here is a flow chart for you
GPM/GPH Flow based on PVC Pipe Size, ie, How much water can flow through Sch 40 Pvc Pipe Size 1/2" 3/4" 1" 1.5" 2" 2.5" 3" 4" 6"

On my 150 I am using 1 1/2 pipe down to tthe sump with 1 inch return moving about 2000gph through it.. My 75 1 inch down to sump and 3/4 return pushing about 800gph.
Any pump you get will have an outlet for the return which will somewhat govern what size pipe you can use.. height back to the tank plus any fittings (elbows tees etc.) will contribute to head loss so make sure you choose a pump that is larger then what you need.. the ball valve after the pump with take care of matching the flow to the overflow.

Ok thanks yea ill take look at the chart yea I was confuse on how to.hook this stuff also stuck on how to setup the baffles in it. I see ppl with 4 baffles or 2..hmm

Just little lost because do u need pump to get to the sump also. Only I cam use is an overflow box because I cant drill into my tank or amything.. and not sure how to figure what sizs pipe to ise because doesnt it matter if it will fit on the return pump? Like does the pipe connect connect directly to the return pipe or somthin connecting the pipe together. Tried looking on YouTube not seeing anything so sorry for the questions lol. Just going to be ordering everything and wanted to order it all at once

Like I said earlier all pumps will come with an outlet for the return which will somewhat govern what size pipe.. the pipe connects directly to the pump at that point.. always better to ask then make big mistakes, they usually mean alot of water on the floor

As far as baffles go you usually have one where the pipe comes from the display then two or three on the other end of the sump..I found two usually serves the purpose on that end.. But that is up to you :D

nope one on one end where the display comes in then a minmum of two on the other.. The first where the display comes in you want to keep it up from the bottom to force the water under the baffle then the last two to three go under and over.. or under over under

Last edited:
Ok so 4 together one where water comes in and 3 other end one going over then under then back over. Now how do u kno what size to cut em as for height size

should have asked if there is a refugium going in, the setup is a little different in that case, sorry,I just always do seperate refugiums when I do sumps.. If there is I would put three on one end where the display empties, the first one goes over then under the second then over the third ( the third one will govern the height of the refugium) then two on the other end the first being the same height as the last one on the other end ( again to govern the height of the refugium) then go unbder the second one to the return pump..

Hmm whats the refugium? Like what I saw was using live rock protein skimmer and heater and return pump. Wasnt sure what else thats why been asking and also try to find some good YouTube videos but no luck there they just show like what they did stuff.

the refugium is a chamber in the sump that could house chaeto or some other algae to help remove nitrates and phosphates from the tank.. Another factor is if you are looking for a specific height in the sump if not doing a refugium, for the skimmer then I would also do the two on one end then three on the other go under the first then over the second ( the second being the height you want to keep the water for the skimmer, Then on the other end go over the first baffle ( again this one would be the height of the last on the other end to keep the water at a height for the skimmer) then under the second and over the third for the return pump. If you read on the skimmer you purchase you will see that some require a certain height to run optimally..

Back