Sump same level as display tank?

montoya

Reefing newb
Hello all.

I'm thinking of turning my 29 gallon tank into a sump for my 55 gallon display tank. All of the plans I find require the sump to be lower than the main tank so water can siphon into the sump and be pumped up and back into the display.

Due to the location of my main tank in my house - my ideal setup would be to have my 29 gallon sump sit on a stand at the same height as my 55 gallon display tank (in addition to the fact a 29 gallon would not fit under my 55 gallon cabinet).

Is there an easy way to do this? I can't think of how I would balance the water input /output to and from the sump if I have to pump both directions so it doesn't either overflow or run dry.

Thanks for any input.

you can make it work as same design as a hang on fuge pump water to it and drill the fuge tank and plumb it to flow back to display, that way during a power failure no worries for floods.

tankandfugeimage.jpg

You could put a 20gal. under your display and run it the standard overflow,siphon/return pump way. Just seems like it would be easier and you can buy a 20gal. for like $30.

i agree with keaton 20 gallon long, hang u tube style overflow probally be 600 gallon per hour on flow use a pump that has probally about 900gph for return pump.

Thanks for the ideas guys.

In any siphon overflow / pump setup - wouldn't the passive siphon overflow need to have a larger capacity gph then the active return pump?

In your example of a 900 gph pump and a 600 gph siphon wouldn't the tank with the siphon overflow?

Back