sump size and return pump

VB68

Reefing newb
Got a 100 gal tank and stand. Any suggestions on the size of sump tank and return pump I would need. Also, I seen the answer on another thread on how to keep the sump from overflowing in case the electric went out, But, what if the tank lost the syphon and the sump emptied into the tank? Any suggestions on how to prevent this from happening? Thanks for all the help.

You'll want to position the pump in the sump so if the overflow does loose syphon, it won't pump more than your tank can handle. When you set the overflow level, leave a bit of room in the tank for a few extra gallons of water to make up for this. The pump will probably burn out, but it's better than a huge mess! A good overflow really shouldn't fail.

As far as return rate goes , you will want to look for about 10 times tank size for the flow rate..although faster won't hurt, only bennefit you..:D
Just remmeber with the return comes restrictions from piping and elbows and height traveled.. So going overboard on the pump is a good idea just put a ball valve coming off the pump to slow it down if syphon can't keep up with the pump....

Last edited:
There is no exact size you need BUT you may have to add a powerhead to get enough flow in the main display.
I was going to add a couple of powerhead to the tank to add some water movement in the tank. Is that what you was talking about?

depending on what you are putting in for corals will say what amount of watermovement you will need.. For example, if doing softies you dont need as much, around 20 times per hour or less ,, if doing lps you will need 20 to 40 times per hour and sps up to 80 times per hour..

Back