sump still neccesary?

Bilbo4fun

Reefing newb
I have a wet dry that I remved bioballs. All that was in it was protein skimmer and return pump. This is a 55 gallon aquarium. Protein skimmer was junk and a guy from craigs list loaned me a in sump and a 200 gallon rated hang of. The hang on is doing great. Added sugar and 1.5 cups in 2 days. Any reason to keep the old wetdry I made into a sump?

Thanks,
Gary

A sump keeps your display tank under positive pressure, so you never see the water evaporation anywhere except the return chamber in the sump. This is much better to me than seeing the water line at the top of the display tank, lowering as it evaporates.

A sump keeps your display tank under positive pressure, so you never see the water evaporation anywhere except the return chamber in the sump. This is much better to me than seeing the water line at the top of the display tank, lowering as it evaporates.

With the wet dry my water level is always 3/4" or so from the bottom of black ring that surrounds aquarium top. The return pump starts blowing bubbles so I know to top off sump. I have even tried doubling the amount of water in sump no difference.

Thanks,
Gary

With the wet dry my water level is always 3/4" or so from the bottom of black ring that surrounds aquarium top. The return pump starts blowing bubbles so I know to top off sump. I have even tried doubling the amount of water in sump no difference.

Thanks,
Gary

Sounds like your overflow box/intake is sitting too low in the display tank.

Back