sump styles

Dakwan

Reefing newb
I can't seem to find any plans or pictures of anyone online doing this style but can you think of any disadvantages of having a 3 section sump with a drain going to both outside sections (one being the skimmer and the other the fuge) with the return being in the center?

As opposed to the classic ->Drain->Skimmer->fuge->return

I am currently in the middle of a upgrade on my sump to make it bigger and i plan on doing it the way you are talking about. I don't see any problem with having the return in the middle. From what i have read you want to have the water to come straight from the DT to the fuge if you can do it. I think it is just easier to do it the other way cuz there is less plumbing and what not.

I run something similar to what you are wanting to do but I made two seperate tanks one sump one refuigium. the refugium dumps directly into the pump section of the sump... that way I am keeping the flow through the refugium to a bare minimum. only run about 40 to 50 gph through it an hour. but have a 400gph powerhead in it for flow...
figure the longer I keep the water in the refugium the better off i am..

I can't seem to find any plans or pictures of anyone online doing this style but can you think of any disadvantages of having a 3 section sump with a drain going to both outside sections (one being the skimmer and the other the fuge) with the return being in the center?

As opposed to the classic ->Drain->Skimmer->fuge->return

My setup is similar, it technically has both drain lines coming in on one side, but I dont see why you couldnt have a drain line entering the sump on both sides. The benefit of the layout you describe is that critters in the 'fuge that decide to leave have a smaller change of getting sucked up by the skimmer

Back