Sump water fills higher than baffles???

M3AN ONE

Reefing newb
Sump water fills higher than baffles???
After a couple of hours of letting the tank run full I noticed the sump water level flattens out (all chambers just 1 height above baffles) could I have put to much water or just have to reseal the baffles in a few spots?

It wouldn't have to do with the tank draining mor than it can return or vice versa would it?

If it was draining faster than filling the system would over flow. Can you adjust your overflow so it can't return more then whats going back to it? Also you could have to much water in the system, did you add water today? I'm lost on what you mean by water flattens out all chambers just 1 height above baffles.

Is the water on you Display Low ???/ If so then its draining faster than your return can keep up with, If this is the case and your using a Overflow Box, just bring up the height of the overflow box on the Display side a bit. If your display is fine and where it should be then just wait it out a bit you must have overfiled the tank and eventually it will evap and even out. But Keep an eye on your salinity durring the evap.

I would think that you just added too much water to the system.

You really can't drain faster from the display into the sump faster than you are pumping into it. If the overflow is rated for 1000 GPH and you are only pumping 800 GPH, only 800GPH is going to be returning to the sump. It just can't go a full 1000 GPH.

If you even have a remotely good seal on your baffles, more will flow over them than through the seams. Since the water level is above ALL the baffles, it makes me believe that there is just too much water in the system.

What I always do when setting up a sump is this

1) Fill the display tank until it starts overflowing into the sump.
2) Fill the sump up until it is between 1 and 2 inches below the top rim of the sump tank.
3) Run the system for a few hours to work any air bubbles out of the lines
4) Take a Sharpie and mark the water level on your return section.

Now you know the operating level of your system. If you keep this level, you will have a lesser chance of overflowing your sump in the event of a power outage.

Back