Sump with a refugium / Cheato

Ariel110G

Reefing newb
So I’m thinking of getting a sump with a refugium but until then I will like to get started with some easy low light corals, I was told by my LFS that I can’t have any corals at all if I don’t have a sump with a refugium, is that true? & my other question is, until I get a sump can I put cheato in my display tank so it can help control nitrate?? or my 2 tangs will just eat it all up??

Last edited:
So I’m thinking of getting a sump with a refugium but until then I will like to get started with some easy low light corals, I was told by my LFS that I can’t have any corals at all if I don’t have a sump with a refugium, is that true? & my other question is, until I get a sump can I put cheato in my display tank so it can help control nitrate?? or my 2 tangs will just eat it all up??

You can keep corals without a sump. About the chaeto, I think they would eat it but I'm not sure.

They might eat the cheato but its worth a shot to try and get the nitrates under control.

Also, if you have nitrate problems you should address why you are getting them, not just cover them up.

They might eat the cheato but its worth a shot to try and get the nitrates under control.

Also, if you have nitrate problems you should address why you are getting them, not just cover them up.

Well its not that I have a nitrate problem, but I just want to be on the safe side or to have it at 0 at all times.

The only problem w/ chaeto in the main tank is that it might make a mess -- if loose or dead ones break away, you'll have Chaeto everywhere, unless you have a net around the entire ball. But it's the same as putting it in a tank.

Back